Planning an Australian River Biotype

1. LockedBox Member Member

Hey. I've been planning a new tank for a while (I probably won't be able to get it until June, but a girl can dream) and I recently considerd the idea of creating an Australian biotype. I never thought of it until recently, seeing as all of the most populare tropical fish come from africa or south america, making an australian biotype rather difficult to source. Recently I came upon this site which has flipped that preconception upside down.

I've fallen in love with empire gudgeons, but information on their care is hard to find. Most sources claim that they are a fresh water species, while others say that they are brackish, and more still keep saying that they can be either. ARG! Could someone give me a straight answer as to what water conditions they would require? And if they are brackish, is the purple spotted gudgeon a brackish fish also?

And finally, what amount of water would they require to be comfortable, and at what population density? I found one source that claimed 15 gallons would be enough, but that doesn't seem right to me.

2. psalm18.2 Fishlore Legend Member

You can't acquire fish from the Australian waterways?

3. LockedBox Member Member

Not in my local area, I'm a suburban girl and all of the natural creeks and ponds in my area are protected as part of a wildlife preserve. Even if it was legal for me to take animals, I wouldn't be able to because I don't have the equipment needed to collect anything. At any rate, I'd rather know what I'm getting before hand so I can prepare accordingly.

4. bowcrazy Well Known Member Member

Here is what the Aquatic Community has to say about the Purple Spotted Gudgeon http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/fish/purplespottedgudgeon.php
    Species name: Morgurnda adspersa

Synonym: Eleotris adspersa; Mogurnda adspersa

Common Names: Purple spotted gudgeon

Family: Polycentridae (Leaffishes)

Order: Perciformes (perch-likes)

Class: Actinopterygii (ray-finned fishes)

Max. size: 14.0 cm / 6 inches

Environment: Fresh and brackish waters

Origin: Eastern Australia

Temperament:predatory

Company:Do not keep with fishes smaller then at least 7,5 cm / 3 inches

Water parameters: Temperature 24-26°C / 75-79°F; pH 6.0 - 7.0

Aquarium setup: Morgurnda adspersa(Purple spotted gudgeon) are best kept in a species tank with neutral to mildly alkeline water, the fish does not do well in soft acidic water. A tank of 36 inches is suitable for a small group provided sufficient hiding places made from up turned flower pots pieces of slate and roots are supplied.

Feeding: Live and frozen foods of all kinds, the fish is usually reluctant to take pellet and flake foods.

Breeding: Breeding is easy within a species tank. the male will court the female by circling her with his fins spread wide. The eggs are laid on a flat surface and are guarded by the male until they hatch, after hatching the brood care ends and the fry will need to be removed to a seperate tank. Fry are easy to raise on fresh hatched brine shrimp and small live foods but due to canabalism very few make it to adulthood.

Another source I found has this to say: It can survive in conditions of low oxygen and therefore occurs in a wide range of biotopes, including forest streams, swamps, ponds and even desert boreholes.

Here are a few more links with information

Tropical Fish Forum: http://www.fishforums.net/index.php?/topic/34250-purple-spotted-gudgeon/

Fish Facts Sheet: http://www2.mdbc.gov.au/subs/fish-info/native_info/southernPurplespottedGudgeon.html