Planning a new tank

sgould

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Hi, all.

So, I have a 55 gallon tank that I am currently cycling. It is pretty early on...probably has several weeks yet before its done. So, while I have plenty of time, I am trying to plan how I want to stock the tank. I know for sure that I want some angels (2-4), and I THINK I want some clown loaches as well, though I have read conflicting things about their ultimate size, so I am unclear as to whether or not even a 55 gallon is sufficient for them. I am also considering a rainbow shark (just 1 I understand) and some rainbow fish. Does anyone have any suggestions reguarding the above, or other suggestions I might want to consider? I have a smaller tank that is stocked with zebra danios and tiger barbs, so I am interested in putting some fish in this larger tank that will have a little more size to them, without over doing it for the tank, and am also interested in something fairly colorful.

Sean

Neville

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
well, i think clown loaches grow up to 10-12 inches and angels grow up to 6 inches. i think a 55 gallon tank would be fine for a clown loach as they are peaceful and shy, but do not keep too many angels in the same tank, they are very territorial and aggressive eaters, rainbow sharks may also become aggressive to smaller fish, i think u should not keep rainbows in a community tank. 4 angels and 1 loach would be fine for now.

sgould

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Thanks for the input. I will do some more research on the rainbow shark. Would a single loach be at all likely to be content? I keep reading that they prefer to be kept in small groups, which is what led me to be concerned that my tank may not be sufficient.

susitna-flower

Well Known Member
Reaction score
I read a nother thread on loaches just today, there was a link to a site that tells you everything you will want to know, the thread was by butterfly, check it out.

As for rainbows being bad for a community tank, I don't agree....They are both colorful, and very peaceful. I have 5 total in a tank with several different species, including cardinal, and congo tetras. Very nice combination. The congo tetra have very long flowing fins, as well as flashy coloration.

Fish in the Frozen North. 8)

sgould

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Ah, thanks...I will check out the link. I do keep reading different things about the rainbow sharks, so I guess I am really not sure which direction to go there. I suppose I could return it if it began causing problems. Oh, well. I imagine it will be early April before I have to decide for sure...bloody slow cycling!

susitna-flower

Well Known Member
Reaction score
I was referring to rainbow fish not rainbow sharks. You had mentioned in your first post that you were thinking about rainbow fish. Like I said I have two different kinds, and just love them.

Fish in the Frozen North

sgould

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Doh!

Yes, the rainbow fish do look nice. I was at lfs earlier today and they have several varieties.

inuyasha_lover_21

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I have an Australian rainbow fish. He is kinda aggressive to my croaking gourami's

sgould

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Do the rainbows need to be kept in numbers, or are they ok individually?

inuyasha_lover_21

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Mine is doing fine being by himself. He hangs more with the ghost knife then any other fish.

susitna-flower

Well Known Member
Reaction score
One of my favorite rainbows is the boesemani rainbow. They have nothing to do with my black ghost knife fish, they have totally different habits, and hang in different parts of the tank. My rainbows are mid tank swimmers, there are 5 rainbows total in my tank, they do hang out together sort of, and don't bother any other fish. Maybe if there is just one it might be aggressive, as many fish can be when they are more the schooling type.

Fish in the Frozen North.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom