Planning A 60 Gallon Aquarium

Madison1017

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
My young pearlscale goldfish are growing up and I am ready to upgrade their tank. I am thinking a 60 gallon (or 65 if I can find one) since that is about as big as I can go in the space it would be going in.

My question is, where do you all get your new tanks and stands? Petco and Petsmart have limited sizes in just their tanks, usually no bigger than a 55. They have bigger sizes in their tank & stand sets, but they all seem to have sketchy reviews (the 65 gallon Aqueon set at Petco especially). I was thinking of getting the 60 gallon Marineland set at Petsmart; could I buy it and then just seal it again to be safe?

If you don't get your tanks/stands from a chain store, where do you get them? If you did get your tank/stand from a chain store, how did they hold up? Do you like them?
(I would prefer not to get any tanks or stands used, and I'm not handy at all so would not be able to build my own stand)

Tl;dr: where can I get a good quality 60-65 gallon tank and stand?

Donthemon

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
I have 3 Aqueons and they are all good! Got one at petco dollar a gallon and the other 2 at lfs.

Sheldon13

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I recently got the Marineland 60 from PetSmart. Haven’t had it long enough to form an opinion but I’ll come back hee when I do.

Madison1017

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I recently got the Marineland 60 from PetSmart. Haven’t had it long enough to form an opinion but I’ll come back hee when I do.
Yes please let me know! It had decent reviews so it's the one I'm considering the most.

I have 3 Aqueons and they are all good! Got one at petco dollar a gallon and the other 2 at lfs.
Are yours just the Aqueon tanks? What stands do you use for them?

Islandvic

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
You have to remember, a lot of negative reviews on Petco/PetSmart website regarding fish hobby gear, are from people new to the hobby and have unrealistic expectations or their problems are user error.

I will always chuckle at one reviewer I saw give a negative review of a sponge filter, because they put it in their tank and it "just sat their doing nothing". Well, yeah they will do that unless you insert an airstone inside like they were designed to do.

PetSmart will have the Marineland 75g ensemble kit on sale for $249 soon, of not by Black Friday. I think the 60g Marineland goes for around $125- $199 on Black Friday

Many times, PetSmart will have all their ensemble tank/stand kits on sale for 50% off on Black Friday, if you can wait that long.

Sheldon13

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I will always chuckle at one reviewer I saw give a negative review of a sponge filter, because they put it in their tank and it "just sat their doing nothing". Well, yeah they will do that unless you insert an airstone inside like they were designed to do.
Omg I seriously had to put the phone down and roll around laughing for a bit at this just imagining the irate person punching away at the keyboard to leave this negative review. I mean, who ever heard of reading instructions anyway?

Madison1017

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
You have to remember, a lot of negative reviews on Petco/PetSmart website regarding fish hobby gear, are from people new to the hobby and have unrealistic expectations or their problems are user error.

PetSmart will have the Marineland 75g ensemble kit on sale for $249 soon, of not by Black Friday. I think the 60g Marineland goes for around $125- $199 on Black Friday

Many times, PetSmart will have all their ensemble tank/stand kits on sale for 50% off on Black Friday, if you can wait that long.
That's very true. Working in customer service we always joke that it's only the people who are upset that leave reviews! Still wondering if it would be a good idea just to seal it again though since some of those sets had reviews of leaking. Couldn't hurt, right?

qquake2k

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years

Attachments

Madison1017

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I have this 65 gallon set from PetSmart, and I really like it. It's only been set up for a couple of months, though. My only complaint so far is the stand. Because of the "arch" opening, there's not enough room for my canister filter.

Aqueon® 65 Gallon LED Aquarium Ensemble | fish Aquariums | PetSmart
I love the look of that tank and it would fit my space perfectly! I was super interested in getting that one but quite a few of the reviews said after a few months it started leaking. You haven't had any issues with it, though?

qquake2k

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I love the look of that tank and it would fit my space perfectly! I was super interested in getting that one but quite a few of the reviews said after a few months it started leaking. You haven't had any issues with it, though?
No problems whatsoever. It's an Aqueon. I actually bought it a couple of years ago on sale, but didn't get around to setting it up until the beginning of last month. It's very tall, though, so if you have short arms you'll need tongs or some such, and probably a long scraper and net.

Madison1017

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
No problems whatsoever. It's an Aqueon. I actually bought it a couple of years ago on sale, but didn't get around to setting it up until the beginning of last month. It's very tall, though, so if you have short arms you'll need tongs or some such, and probably a long scraper and net.
I have a really tall tank now so it wouldn't be much different in terms of care lol. The tall tanks fit better in the space I have too. Thank you for your input!

qquake2k

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
That's what I like about it. It basically has the same footprint as my 46 bowfront, but has 19 more gallons.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom