Planning A 500-600 Gallon Tank

Katie993

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I'm planning a 500-600 gallon planted non aggressive community tank. Hopefully, it will be built and started within the next year. I don't have much experience with aquarium plants so I need them to be low maintenance and, hopefully, without CO2 or super overpowered lighting. Stocking is still up in the air right now. I know I'm going to put some type of shrimp and snails so that I can hopefully have a breeding colony of both as food for a separate pea puffer tank. Any planting suggestions would be much appreciated. I've never planned out a tank this size.

86 ssinit

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Ok just so I’m reading this correctly. Your planning a 500-600 gal tank for shrimp and snails??

Bryangar

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
86 ssinit said:
Ok just so I’m reading this correctly. Your planning a 500-600 gal tank for shrimp and snails??
you sure you’re reading it correctly? lol.. Op said they want a non aggressive community tank. But just wanting to build up a shrimp and snail colony before hand.

Basically the basic plants: anubias, crypts, ferns, vals.

-Mak-

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
How tall is this tank? It shouldn't be too hard to grow some plants, but lighting will be your biggest challenge.

Vichu

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
If you say 500-600 gal ,I would at least think it will be 3feet deep and for that depth you can achieve High light only via some overpowered led's like kessel A160, gooseneck or if you want cheap low light go for floodlight!!!!

aniroc

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
There are so many things to worry about, other than what plants to use...
I have a 180 gallon planted and I think it's a monster. It is sitting on the concrete floor in the basement. It is serviced via several circuit breakers as no single breaker can take the wattages needed for heaters, pumps, lights.
It takes 2-3 hours to change water and trim the plants.

86 ssinit

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
aniroc said:
There are so many things to worry about, other than what plants to use...
I have a 180 gallon planted and I think it's a monster. It is sitting on the concrete floor in the basement. It is serviced via several circuit breakers as no single breaker can take the wattages needed for heaters, pumps, lights.
It takes 2-3 hours to change water and trim the plants.
Not sure what’s going on with your tank but 1 20 amp breaker should be more than enough. How old is your equipment? 20yrs ago I ran a 200 on a 20 with no problems. Now with leds and less wattage heaters and filters you should be able to run that on a 15.
Yes a 500-600 gal tank will cost some money to run. Yes that’s got to be on a concrete floor. But larger tanks take less maintenance.

Katie993

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I’m aware of maintenance. I sub at the school so I have plenty of free time to maintain it. Yes it will be on a concrete floor. 3’ high x 3’ wide x 8’ long I think were the dimensions. I know it’s going to be 3’ high and 8’ long, not 100% about width. I want shrimp and snails to be part of the community but I’m still not sure what fish will be in it. We’ve thrown quite a few ideas around but they it will be a non aggressive tank.

kallililly1973

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
metal halide lights may be a good option if your able to hang them above the tank . I'm sure you would need 4-6 to cover an 8 ' span... As far as stock for 5-600 gallon of community fish the sky is the limit in a sense.. I know i would have a gigantic school of cory cats maybe 50-75 of them some gourami some nice hardy colorful schoolers a few different types of plecos....the list could go on ...i'm sure

Wobbegong

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Whats wrong with aggressive fish? With a tank that size fish are way less likely to to be able to hurt each other. Im just saying you could do shrimp and snails in a 20 gallon. you have an opportunity to almost anything. You could do so many african or even ca/sa cichlids. Or you could get tinfoil barbs or knife fish. There are so many possibilities the rest of us can only dream of that you have available to you. Its all up to you.

RockinRy

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
kallililly1973 said:
I know i would have a gigantic school of cory cats maybe 50-75 of them
That sounds hilarious. I can only imagine what 50 cory cats would look like. I only have four at the moment working my way up to a full school and the four of them already follow each other and pile up. Can't imagine 50 all together ha.

Robes

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Wobbegong said:
Whats wrong with aggressive fish? With a tank that size fish are way less likely to to be able to hurt each other. Im just saying you could do shrimp and snails in a 20 gallon. you have an opportunity to almost anything. You could do so many african or even ca/sa cichlids. Or you could get tinfoil barbs or knife fish. There are so many possibilities the rest of us can only dream of that you have available to you. Its all up to you.
I've done both types of "big" (~250g not 500+) and while yes it is fun having such large fish and I'll probably always keep one large fish tank, theres nothing quite like watching a massive tank with hundred of little fish swimming around.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom