Planning a 45 gal tank

Betta'sAnonymous

Ok, so i been doing a little bit of looking around the world wide web, trying to decide what i want to stock in my 45 gal tank once i set it up and get it cycled. (Still a ways off, kind of back-burner project at the moment).

Would really like to have a school of tiger barbs as i find them pretty and rather active, but trying to decide on tankmates is a bit tricky. Was thinking a school of 8-10 serpae tetras and a school of 8-10 tetras of some other sort (prefferably not neons).

What y'alls thoughts on this? Ideas on stocking or just scrap the tiger barbs? Still in very early planning...nothing is set in stone except equipment lol!

Betta'sAnonymous

Oh, and NO LIVE BREEDERS

redmare

I think serpae tetras could hold their own agains the tigers! I've heard that in general, when you want tiger barbs, you build a tank around them and don't have too many other stuff. Maybe just a big school of those, and then some zebra loaches or corydoras down low?

Betta'sAnonymous

Corys i am open to. However it ends up, tiger barbs will be the last thing in there if i go that route.

JettsPapa

I started with a bunch of different fish types in my heavily planted 40 gallon breeder tank, but now I'm down to a trio of pearl gouramis, 8-10 corydorus trilineatus, and 16 serpae tetras (other than one or two odds and ends that I can't catch). If I make any changes it will probably just be more serpaes.

Betta'sAnonymous

JettsPapa said:
I started with a bunch of different fish types in my heavily planted 40 gallon breeder tank, but now I'm down to a trio of pearl gouramis, 8-10 corydorus trilineatus, and 16 serpae tetras (other than one or two odds and ends that I can't catch). If I make any changes it will probably just be more serpaes.
Gotta say i do love the look of the serpaes

JettsPapa

Betta'sAnonymous said:
Gotta say i do love the look of the serpaes
Yup. They especially look good in a tank with a lot of plants.

Betta'sAnonymous

Well, i got time to figure things out. Not even sure where the tank will get set up, at this point. I just find it works much better for me to plan ahhead a little bit so i can spread out some of the time and cost instead of feeling rushed and broke lol

Betta'sAnonymous

Started seeding a sponge filter for the future 45g last night.

FishPatrol

If you get the Serpae tetras, you should get the Longfin variety! I’ve never actually had the regular ones, but have had longfins for several years, and when they are healthy and happy and not babies anymore, they grow into really pretty fish and they’re super fun to watch! They have really brilliant orange to dark red coloration and they like to flare their fins at each other to show off and look tough. They also zoom around the tank like little fighter jets and are super fun to watch. I don’t know how the non-longfin Serpae variety compares (people talk about these fish being terrors) but I actually haven’t ever seen my longfins be aggressive with ANY of my fish ever other than themselves, and that was just chasing. I have kept them with other types of tetras, mollies, and even dwarf gourami, and no problem whatsoever. Maybe I’ve just been lucky!! Anyway...they’re cool. :D

FishPatrol

Although on second thought, I have no clue how tiger barbs would do with the longfins, but their fins aren’t THAT long and they’re really fast, so maybe it would be ok. I mostly just know about the serpae’s disposition and not the tiger barbs, so I don’t know how the barbs would act.

Top Bottom