Planning 75 Gallon Tank - have some questions

skywalking

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Hello! I'm moving soon and hoping to start a 75 gallon tank. My best friend has some neon tetras and a featherfin catfish in a 10 gallon tank and I want to get them out of there! My questions are:
1. In a tank that size, would 2 40 gallon hob filters work? I wanted to place them at opposite ends of the tank. I don't know anything about canister filters and I'm in love with the aqueon quietflow filters
2. I have a betta who's super active in his ten gallon tank and always swimming at the glass. Would he fare okay in a tank that size? I'm afraid the surface would be too far from the floor of the tank for him but I could always plant it well? He loves wiggling at the bottom by the plants and gravel though and I don't wanna take that away. I also wanted to get a 20 gallon long at some point in the future, should I hold out for that instead for him?
3. The house I'm moving into is going to have 3 cats and a dog. I'm thinking since the 75 gallon will weigh so much and be one stable stand it'll be fine in the living room but if anyone has any cat or dog proofing tips I'm all ears!

Thank you for your time!

Crispii

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
1. Two HOB filters will be fine. However, it really depends on your stocking.

2. A 75 is heaven for a betta.

david1978

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I have a bunch of betta in a 55. They were in the 75 gallon first. A 75 gallon tank weighs around 750 pounds. If it has a good stand it will be fine.

juniperlea

Well Known
Reaction score
I have a 75, too. I bought one HOB filter, but wish I'd bought two.

I've kept female bettas in the tank and they constantly investigated. I've since moved them and put my shy male betta into the tank. It took him a week to come out from hiding under some floating plants. Now, he ventures frequently into the deep!

Unless you have a very bouncy Old English Mastiff or a bouncy Newfoundland, I think you'll be ok! :D Honestly, I don't know about the dog factor. I have a cat that kept wanting to use the glass lid of my 20 gallon in order to access a window. He's been trained to a safer alternate route now. ;)

YellowGuppy

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
2 HOBs sounds like an excellent plan. If anything goes wrong with one (which, from my understanding, doesn't happen often), you can still run at half strength until you get the situation sorted.

saltwater60

Well Known
Reaction score
2 HOB filters is great. I normally do two rather than one. I’d get more than two 40 gallon rated filters. I’d personally get something better than aqueon filters. I’d get something with adjustable flow. Aqua clear, marine land pro or the tidal series are all good options. $50 is in the ballpark of what your pay for these and they are far superior than the aqueon. Why pay for an LED light on a filter when you can pay for a better filter.

Islandvic

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
You have to remember that a filter's tank size rating a basically an arbitrary number decided by their marketing dept. That way a brand can have filters to sell for different sized tanks.

A HOB made for 40 gallon tank never lists what's in that 40 gallon tank.

If you cut the rating in half, then your are in the ball park.

If your on a budget, get a pair of large sponge filters driven by a decent air pump and a Penguin 350 or Emeperor 400. They can be found online for $30 & $40 respectively.

If you have a larger budget, I would recommend a pair of large sponge filters + an Aquaclear 110.

If you have the means, I'd recommend building a DIY aquarium stand. Many plans online and TONs of videos on YouTube. It's easier than it sounds.

Andyfischer

Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Say 900-959lbs with substrate and decor.

Two HOB are fine but the filtering need is a function it seems is dependent on the degree of stocking. These alone provide ample aeration and I have a friend who only has two 350s on a 120 gallon tank. I understand the Aquclears are a great filter as you can put bio rings in them for the for the nitrogen cycle. I over did it on my 75, I have two cascade 1000s and two penguins, a 350 and a 200. Two 350 are probably sufficient for me too but you really can’t over filter it seems to me. I find the canisters are harder to maintain. But that may be just me.

I hope you got a good deal, I got marineland 75 with nice stand and light for $250 on Black Friday.

Follow FishLore!

FishLore on Social Media

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Aquarium Photo Contests

Aquarium Calculator

Top Bottom