Planned Set-up 65 Gallon Tank

1. Crissandra331 Member Member

So I've been wanting to put more fish in my tank for awhile. I've just mainly had 2-3 Angelfish in my tank and that's it. About two months ago I added 10 Harlequin Rasboras ( though i think they may be Hengal's cause their BRIGHT orange.) so wanting to gradually add more fish..

Current Stock:
    3 Angels (2F 1M)
    1 Otocinclus (been looking for well over a month for more of these little guys!!)
    10 Harlequin Rasbora
    2 Nerite Snails

Planned Stock:
    3 Angels
    4 Otocinclus
    10 Harlequin Rasbora
    7 Rummynose Tetras
    6 Panda Corys (is 77F to warm for them?)
    2 Nerite Snails

Temp will be set around 77F pH will be 7.6
    Tank is planted w/ driftwood. Fine Gravel (though planning on having a sanded area in the front foreground for the corys)

Aqadvisor said that I wouldn't be over stocked or have issues,(minus angels eating nerites, which they haven't) But I know you guys have more experience with individual species than a generator. Maybe you know of some better recommendations? Not worried about Angels eating my smaller fish. Other than that anyone see any issues I might run into?

2. Viriam Karo Well Known Member Member

As far as I can tell, it seems like this will be a nice tank! If I can ever upgrade to a 65 or 75 gal tank I really want a huge school of rummynose XD What kinds of plants are you planning on?

3. Crissandra331 Member Member

Yes i've always been a fan of rummynose tetras but of course I had the Harlequins first. Hoping 7 will still make a nice addition. Interested to see just how sensitive they are to water changes. But right now I have Hornwort, Echinodorus Osiris, Red Crypt Wendtii, Oriental Fern, Vallisneria Gigantea, Anubias nana, i'd like to get more Red Crypt for the foreground, maybe one or two more stem plants but haven't decided the kind. Try to keep it somewhat simple when it comes to plants and their care. But i do find myself picturing someone really amazing in my head and then when im done my tank just seems somewhat mediocre .. grr! Never satisfied!

4. Coradee Moderator Moderator Member

77f is towards the top end of pandas temperature range but as long as it doesn't go any higher they should be ok.
    Over here some people are finding pandas to be quite delicate & hard to keep, whether it's just the stock we get I don't know, hopefully yours will be hardier.

5. Crissandra331 Member Member

Thanks Coradee I was hoping you would chime in with your cory-wisdom. Maybe I will bump the temp around 75. Angels live longer in cooler water like corys. Just did a quick overview of everyone

Panda: 68-70F

Angels: 74-84F

Oto: 70-78F

Harlequin: 72-82F

Rummynose: 72-80F

So maybe 75F would be a more balanced average for everyone. Our Neon Tetras are similar around here, except our stocks real poor from high demand, bought a large school and they all died off within 3 days, had NEVER had anything like that happen to me EVER. Girl at LFS told me that in the 4 years she had been working there only 1 customer was able to keep the Neons alive to over 1 inch. It would be at least a hour drive to pick up Pandas. Half hour for the rummy nose, so definitely want to make sure i'm getting the right fish for my set up. I'm sure people drive farther but I'm from a smaller town & driving free ways makes me wanna pee my pants :)