Planned outage - what to do?

AcuarioAmazonico

Apologies if this is in the wrong section!

This morning I received a notice from my electricity provider stating that there will be a scheduled outage this Sunday for major upgrades. They state the hours are between 8am and 4pm though outages shouldn't last more than a few hours - if at all.

Considering I’m realistically looking at maybe 3 or 4 hours tops: what preparation should I do? It’s still a couple of days away so I may be able to source battery operated air pumps - but we are talking about a 4 foot and 6 foot aquarium - will that be sufficient? How long can a tank be “offline” and still be safe?

i know my filter bacteria will be fine. I’m not worried about temperature - it’s more oxygen I am unsure of. This is 5 days before my moving house so I’d hate to lose fish just before the big move!

AggressiveAquatics

To add oxygen to water every 30 minutes of splash water on the top of the tank to create oxygen. Are your tanks heated? Do you have plans to keep the temp in a safe zone?

Upvote 0

Broggy

battery air pumps are good, be sure to put the media in the tank and not leave it in the filter to avoid the bacteria suffocating.

Upvote 0

smee82

Honestly i reckon you will be fine doing nothing. The only thing i would do is a water change the day before.

Upvote 0

AcuarioAmazonico

Luckily the say before is water change day so I also suspect I’ll be okay. I may grab a couple of battery airpumps but I’m pretty sure it will be okay.
Re: temp - yea tanks are heated but atm the ambient temp inside is same if not higher than the tanks. I’m not concerned about water temp.
Bacteria will be fine - if it’s going to be a long one I’ll put media in tank

thank you all

Upvote 0

ForceTen

Why do anything? Your tank is 210 and 60 gallons right? You have plenty water surface to keep everything just fine.
I lost power for 6 days once and every fish did just fine. No air stone either. Only issue was temp and that was addressed with a candle under the tank.

Upvote 0

leftswerve

They will probably be fine as said. Lowering the water level can help if needed. If this was saltwater it would be a whole different story

Upvote 0

AcuarioAmazonico

Okay thanks guys. Fair play - I won’t bother with the air pumps either. Seems I have very little to be concerned about.
Cheers.

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
dwc13
Replies
Views
Ryngwrayth
Replies
Views
TanksfortheMemories