Planned Centerpiece Fish Died In Qt...other Ideas?

Discussion in 'Aquarium Stocking Questions' started by Bruxes and Bubbles, Apr 14, 2017.

1. B

Bruxes and Bubbles Well Known Member Member

I found a very pretty platy that was going to be my centerpiece fish in my 20 high (the one that's already up and running - not the planned aquascape one). Sadly, he did not make it through QT. :( I buried him in the backyard.

I'm not sure if I want to get another platy as a centerpiece at this point - the only really pretty ones I can find are (weirdly enough) in the feeder bin at my LFS, and I don't think I want to try that route again.

Do I have any other options for a centerpiece fish or maybe a schooling fish or something? My tank just feels kind of empty right now. It's okay if I can't add anything else; I'm just curious if I have any options.

Current stock:

3 x platy
    3 x guppy
    4 x Albino/bronze corydoras (Upping this to 6 as I find them.)

Thank you!

2. BottomDweller

BottomDweller Fishlore VIP Member

What about a dwarf or honey gourami?

3. OP
    OP
    B

The blue dwarf gouramis are pretty; I saw some at a LFS last time we went. Do they do well with guppies with bigger tails?
    My bigger LFS usually has honey gouramis; they're pretty cute, too! I'll do some more research on them; they're definitely in consideration. I love their feelers. Thanks!
    :D

4. BottomDweller

They should be fine. Honeys are much more peaceful than the dwarfs.

5. OP
    OP
    B

Okay, thanks! Do you know if I'd have space to do a school of harlequin rasboras or cardinal tetras (or any other relatively common smaller schooling fish) if I decided against the gourami? Or would that be pushing it?

6. BottomDweller

I think you would be ok if you went with a nano schooling fish like CPD

7. KimberlyG

KimberlyG Fishlore VIP Member

Celestial Pearls are so pretty!

8. FishandFun

FishandFun Valued Member Member

9. OP
    OP
    B

Are those temperature compatible with my aeneus corydoras? I usually keep my tank at around 76 degrees. I will look into some of the nano fish options around here. Don't know if I want to order fish for this tank.

I love female bettas and have four of my own, but none of them are good in communities, unfortunately. Wouldn't want to take the risk of having to set up another tank for another female.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2017
  10. JeffK

JeffK Well Known Member Member

aeneus corydoras are fine at 76 degrees - they're a little less temperature specific than some other cories.
    Personally, I think a 20 gal high (24"x 12" footprint) is a bit too small for harlequins or cardinals. The cpds are a good suggestion. Since you seem to like livebearers, what about some endlers? You could just add 4 - no need to have 6 (if you don't want to) as they don't need large groups.

Another thought for a centerpiece... how about a pair of peacock gudgeons?

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 15, 2017
  11. Anders247

Anders247 Fishlore Legend Member

Peacock gudgeons would be great.

12. OP
    OP
    B

I do have endlers planned for my next 20g stocking, but I don't want them interbreeding with the guppies in this tank. Thanks for the suggestion, though!

Do peacock gudgeons need live/frozen foods or will they take flakes/shrimp pellets? I've never seen them around here except for once at my LFS, (it was just the price tag for them), but I'll keep an eye out for them.

I think the smallest tetra they regularly sell around here are going to be glowlight tetras and neon tetras. Neon tetras aren't compatible temperature-wise, I don't believe. I'll have to look on Aquabid to see what they carry. Are there any smaller species of tetras or rasboras that are pretty hardy? My platys are pretty boisterous and I wouldn't want to freak a shyer fish out.

13. JeffK

JeffK Well Known Member Member

In my experience, peacock gudgeons are really not picky eaters at all. Like any fish, they enjoy the occasional live/frozen treat, but they'll eat whatever you offer.

14. BeanFish

BeanFish Well Known Member Member

Sorry for your loss. I also got my 2 first Mollys as feeder Mollys, they were the only orange Mollys I could find, the male ended up having a pretty interesting tail. They are still alive and doing well.
    Some sort of gourami would make for a cool center piece, I would personally go with a honey gourami, I like its color and I have not heard of it being agressive altough that peacock gudgeon looks interesting. I dont know, both are good options, hard to decide lol.

15. OP
    OP
    B

Looked at my LFS's and chain stores's list of fish. Here's a list of all of the fish that I'd be interested in at any place around me (some I know likely will not work in my tank), and some ones online that I saw.

Around me:

Lemon Tetras
    Cardinal Tetras
    Neon Tetras
    Black Neon Tetras
    Glowlight Tetras
    (I think one place around here carried Emperor Tetras...not 100% sure, though.)

Hatchetfish

Cherry Barbs
    Gold Barbs

Harlequin Rasboras

Online:

Ember Tetras
    Chili Rasboras
    Celestial Pearl Danios

If I rehomed one guppy and one platy would I have more options?

Okay, thank you! I will keep an eye out for them on my fish store's 'new fish' website listing so I can see them in person.

Your mollies sound lovely. I'm glad they did well!
    It is hard to decide. I just worry if I go with one bigger fish it'll just feel as empty as it does now.

16. BeanFish

BeanFish Well Known Member Member

I understand the feeling. What is your current stocking sorry?
    I like the idea of centerpieces but yeah, sometimes bioload means you can not put many fish appart from the centerpiece.
    Honey gouramis are small, would they really be that much of a bioload?

What do you think of this stocking?
    1 Honey Gourami
    10 Neon tetra
    10 Harlequin Rasbora

They are all temp compatible as far as I know. I would keep the tank at 24 Celsius. But I am not a stocking guru so maybe some stocking experts can find flaws in it.

17. scarface

scarface Fishlore VIP Member

I second the honey gouramis. I would do a pair though, as they are social. Single one won't hurt either. Mine constantly tags along the other one, almost like "hey, wait for me" or "don't leave". Very friendly with other tankmates too.

18. OP
    OP
    B

I've got:

3 x platy
    3 x guppy
    4 x Albino/bronze corydoras (Upping this to 6 as I find them.)

There is one platy and one guppy that I can rehome if need be, but I really like the others. Your stocking plan sounds really cool, but with the fish I have now I probably wouldn't be able to do more than one small (6) school of smaller fish or a centerpiece.

Aw, they sound cute! Definitely on the top of my list if I do decide to go with just adding a centerpiece. :)

19. OP
    OP
    B

I did some more research on the fish. My platys and guppies tend to like the water around 76-77 degrees, from personal experience. I checked Seriously Fish and a good few other websites to try to figure out which fish would do the best in that range. I narrowed it down to these as for that, but in terms of tank size, websites I know are iffy, so I have returned here for yes or no on if a 20 high would be okay for any of these guys. If they are, what would my platy and guppy numbers have to be to get them?
    (All of the centerpiece fish ideas were fine in terms of temperature, so I'm not including them. All of them would be fine if I did a centerpiece instead of a school of something.)

Black Neon Tetra

Cardinal Tetra - Has been said that 20 high is a bit small for them. I do really like their bright colors.

Cherry Barb - I really like these guys if they are an option. I feel their personalities would mix well with my outgoing livebearers and my LFS has so many variations of them. (Albino, standard, long finned, etc.)

Chili Rasbora - One of the tiny fish options. Unsure on how shy they are and if the platys and guppies would scare them.

Ember Tetra - One of the tiny fish options. Unsure on how shy they are and if the platys and guppies would scare them.

Glowlight Tetra

Harlequin Rasbora - Has been said that 20 high is a bit small for them.

Lemon Tetra

As for the cherry barbs - I know they likely have a higher bio-load than the tetras. For a school of six of them, what would my livebearer numbers have to look like for them to be an option, if they can be in a 20 high?

20. Little Tank of Happiness

Little Tank of Happiness Well Known Member Member

My black neons like to mainly swim up and down but most say theirs swim side to side in my 20 gal. I think that is because in the store 7 were kept in a small 5 gal but taller than longer tank. Also julii cories were kept on the bottom (at the store). So, generically they are not very used to side and side. Who knows how long they were there for.

Just some input :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice