planing my stock 29 Gallon Tank

1. frogfan Well Known Member Member

I just got my niece a 29g tank which currently looks quite empty with just 3 small fish.
    Tanks current inhabitants 1 3" peppered cory and 2 male guppies each about 1" .
    currently in QT another male guppy.
    I plan on adding 4 or 5 more peppered cory and at least 3 more guppies over the next months.
    so what else can i add the guppies are staying mostly at the top of the 29 and the catfish stays on the bottom what can i add to the middle or is this tank going to be caped out with 12 fish ?
    also what about snails the kids really like watching the snails eat and climb around the tank but theirs died a few days before i got the 29 set up 2014-07-07 09.08.03.jpg 2014-07-07 09.07.52.jpg

2. Anthony10 Member Member

What about a school of danios? (3-5) My favorites are the zebra and the spotted

-Anthony

3. Dark Sky Member Member

Yep, Danios are great, I've got a group of six in my 29g tank, 4x Zebras and 2x Leopard. They have great personality, really fun to watch.

4. frogfan Well Known Member Member

The kids wanted glofish but i didnt want to add a blue light but maybe a couple of plain zebra danios are they mid tank swimmers or are they going to.stay mostly at thw top.also?

Sent from my SCH-S738C using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

5. escapay Well Known Member Member

Snails would work later on - but I'd wait for the tank to get some algae of some sort before buying any. My favorite are the nerite snails since they stay smaller (1 inch) and I personally like their colors better than the mystery snails.

You can get glofish for the kids even without a blue light. They still have some color that way. Or you can get the normal ones.

Other fish to look into include Harlequin Rasboras, Skirt Tetras (black or white or the glo ones), Neon Tetras, Black Neon Tetras, Bloodfin Tetras, Glowlight Tetras, or Penguin Tetras. There are more out there... but these are ones that have fish profiles here and are mostly common in availability.

6. Dark Sky Member Member

Mine roam all over, but when they're just hanging out they're generally around the middle. My son loves watching them, we have a couple which he calls catfish, because they act like cats, rubbing themselves along the driftwood! I've just changed their tank to sand and they all took turns heading down to 'stroke' the sand with their sides.

7. escapay Well Known Member Member

I'd watch them closely, as rubbing against things is generally a sign of disease.

8. Dark Sky Member Member

Hmmm, will do, thanks.