Planeria Outbreak- Proper Fenbendazole Dose?

Kimmi24

against my better judgment I went ahead and got a few RCS from my local Petco. The next morning, I noticed a lot of planeria in my tank . I’m not sure if that’s the culprit, but I doubt it’s from over feeding because I only provide my 5 gallon blanched zucchinI 1x week along a pinch of shrimp cuisine.

I’ve found contradicting claims online discussing whether planeria are actually harmful to shrimp, so I want to play it safe and eradicate them ASAP, (and definitely before I get my delivery of Sakuras next week). After some research, I’m going to try fenbendazole. My only problem is I don’t know how much to dose, and how.

I have a 5.5 planted tank with 7 RCS in it. Any advice is greatly appreciated!

Jellibeen

I found this article, which suggests using 1 gram per 100 gallons.

Now, you are looking at treating a 5.5 gallon tank. Do you have a scale? What I would do is mix one gram in with 100 mL of water. You need five and a half percent of that, which would be 5.5mL. You may want to round down to 5mL to account for substrate and decor which takes up space in the aquarium. Does that make sense? So you aren't adding a whole gram into the tank, but mixing it with water for sake of measuring the correct dose to put into the tank. Unless you have a very precise scale that measures to the third decimal place, since you need .055 grams.

I found another source which suggests mixing it in with food, but that one was directed towards fish with internal worms. I think mixing it in with the water makes way more sense in this case. After all, if you mixed it with food, it wouldn't do much for the planaria unless the planaria ate the food directly.

Kimmi24

Thanks for the help!

I dosed 10ml of fenbendazole mixed with 200 ml of dechlorinated tap water (per the suggestion from this) this morning. Surprisingly, my shrimp are more active than before and moving about the tank! I still see the planeria, but I plan on checking back within a few hours, and will keep this post updated.

Jellibeen

Let me know how it works!

Kimmi24

Update: Planeria gone!

For future reference, and for anyone else experiencing the same problem, Dog De-wormer (fenbendazole) worked after 2 rounds.

Day 1: Mixed packet (1g) of Fendendazole with 200 ml water. I used an empty plastic water bottle, filled it will 200 ml of hot dechlorinated tap water and shook the bottle until it was completely dissolved. Once the temp of the water cooled down (it was albiet maybe just a smidge too hot), I dosed 10ml of the mix all over my 5.5 g. I dosed in the substrate, along the glass, and by the water flow from the filter. I used a syringe bought at the pet store, which you can find it next to the dog de-wormer. Per suggestion of others online, I kept the light off to avoid stress and to maximize the effects of the medicine.

About 6 hours later I noticed little white planeria floating around in my tank, dead. Great! However, there were still a bunch on the glass. without doing a WC, I dosed the another 10ml and left it overnight.

Day 2: The next afternoon, I found a lot of dead planeria on my sponge covering my HOB intake along with no signs of any planeria crawling on the tank. I did a 30% water change, checked parameters (all stable) and haven't seen any more since.

I was really skeptical about using dog de-wormer, but I'm so happy to say that I can't believe it actually worked! My RCS showed no signs of stress during the process. In fact, they looked even more active .

Jellibeen

I am so glad it worked out! Thank you for sharing the steps and dosage you used.

richiep

Nice one Jellibeen you got him through that very easily

Jellibeen

I am glad to rediscover this thread! I will be treating my tank with fenbendazole tomorrow (hopefully the meds arrive on time). I was looking for some more info on dosing. Thanks again for sharing the steps you took!

Top Bottom