Planaria Infestation???

1. B

Bengals888 New Member Member

Hi,

I have a 2.5 gallon with one betta and 3 tetras. I had java fern and amazon sword plant.
    Everything was cycled and thriving for 4 months. Then my water started getting really cloudy, dense.
    I used a microscope against the glass and see clear flag worms, they look like planaria. They crawl like inch worms.

They are millions of them in all areas of the water. I tried fish fendbendazole and it did not work.
    I tossed the plants and the gravel. I bleached the tank and the tiny hob filter. New seachem matrix.
    New water. All was fine first few days. I added seachem stability to help with cycle and using prime.

Now it’s back to full infestation. I just dosed again with dog panacure c.

Any ideas? I am only feeding once a day. It’s bare bottom tank. Very frustrating and not sure how
    to deal with this. Fish look aggravated with water dense from worms.

Thanks!

2. Rtessy

Rtessy Well Known Member Member

Could you post a picture of the worms? Planaria are often quite large, up to an invh even, and don't usually move by inching. They look like they just glide along, and have a triangular head. Any chance it's detritus worms? I've had some of those survive fenbendazole.

3. OP
    OP
    B

25CD199C-4B40-4AEF-8E8A-1E9F82C58A6F.jpeg F2FF9010-61BA-4C58-9847-AF0ECC47F029.jpeg Hi

Here is a pic. They are microscopic right now but dense enough to cloudy the water.

I bought some almond leaf from India(ebay). I put small piece in the water, not sure if the leaf was contaminated.

It’s bare bottom tank now.

4. OP
    OP
    B

I will post pics as the worms get larger, ugh...

5. Rtessy

Sorry you're going through this, I'm sure it's frustrating. However, I don't think they're planaria from the picture, of course that could change as they grow. Maybe try looking at different types of infusoria. How big do they get?

6. OP
    OP
    B

Thank you.

They don’t get big where I can see with my eye.
    I still have to use magnification. I guess it is not planaria since the dewormer does not kill it.

The sheer quantity is what worries me.

I will look up infusoria. I just did another 70% water change after the panacur c.

7. Rtessy

It's strange that they clog up all the water, but because of their small size I'd guess they were some kind of infusoria, which are harmless to fish and often a food source for them instead. Are they attracted to light at all? If you shine a flashlight at one side of the tank, do they gather near it? It may help determine what kind you have.

8. OP
    OP
    B

I turned off the filter and shined flashlight. I did not see them coming to the light.

I will just wait it out and see what happens next. When they get large enough, I will post more pics.

9. r

regormang New Member Member

It looks like corepod or demetrius worms. Those are harmless for the most part.

10. Dch48

Dch48 Well Known Member Member

I don't know if it has anything to do with the worms but a Betta and 3 Tetras is too much for a 2.5 gallon tank. It's minimum size for just the Betta by itself.

Do you mean copepod or detritus? Could an excess of detritus worms come from an excess of waste from too many fish?

11. r

regormang New Member Member

Yes lol autocorrect still figuring out the aquarium life lol haha