Planaria In Planted Betta Tank!

Pansy

Reaction score
Today I noticed these tiny white dots floating across the walls of my planted 3.5 gal Betta tank and I realized that they are planaria. They are really small but, you can make out the distinct shape and I can tell what they are by the way they move. This is my first time dealing with a planaria infestation so I don't really know how to go about it. My Betta doesn't seem to be affected at all. However, I am worried about my nerite snail and ghost shrimp. I know that many people use dewormer to treat these infestations but i don't know where to get it. (I live in an area with no real fish stores besides a petsmart with the same problem). Also, can I treat with everybody still in the tank?

Gypsy13

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Oh you really must post a pic. I love pics that gross my hubby out! If it weren’t for your shrimp you’d be ok. There’s a planaria trap you could get. There’s a medication that will kill them but then you have to deal with all the decaying worms. And it’s not safe for snails. Hmmm... @Thunder_o_b @75g Discus Tank @david1978 I can’t think of the med. One of the fens though.

dwarfpufferlover

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I am currently treating my tank, it’s Fenbendazole you can find it locally in Panacur c dog dewormer at PetSmart so should be easy if you have one.

I couldn’t find no planaria and I hear it’s detrimental to cycle.

It is the yellow gram packets and the dose is 1/10 gram for 10 gallons. Dose every 24/48 hours with water change. You also have to shake it in a container before use to mix well.

Mazeus

Well Known Member
Reaction score
dwarfpufferlover said:
I am currently treating my tank, it’s Fenbendazole you can find it locally in Panacur c dog dewormer at PetSmart so should be easy if you have one.

It is the yellow gram packets and the dose is 1/10 gram for 10 gallons. Dose every 24/48 hours with water change. You also have to shake it in a container before use to mix well.
Be careful with Fenbendazole as I don't believe it is snail safe (it is shrimp safe though). Some people have reported nerite deaths after using it.

Mazeus

Well Known Member
Reaction score
dwarfpufferlover said:
No worries, the treatment is ongoing in my shrimp tank. All nerites are safe, over!
That's good. Better safe than sorry. I just thought I would mention it as the OP said there was a nerite in their tank.

Gypsy13

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
dwarfpufferlover said:

That’s the one. Thank you. Not saying OP should use it. But I hear it works.

Pansy

Reaction score
Thank you guys for all of the replies. I will check out petsmart for the medication and probably start doing some more water changes for now. Other then that here is a pic of the only planaria big enough for my camera to zoom in on. It is right at the water line in the first image.
IMG_1605.JPG
IMG_1606.JPG
IMG_1605.JPG

dwarfpufferlover

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Almost looks like Rhabdocoela which is harmless but could still be planaria. Very hard to tell difference by pictures but the medication is near harmless and dies in water fast anyways.

Another tip here, go lights out and ensure the tank doesn't get light while treating. Fenbendazole breaks down under light.
good luck.

edit: If you are in middle of no where chewy can have it to you in 2 days for 11 something and change.

Pansy

Reaction score
dwarfpufferlover said:
Almost looks like Rhabdocoela which is harmless but could still be planaria. Very hard to tell difference by pictures but the medication is near harmless and dies in water fast anyways.

Another tip here, go lights out and ensure the tank doesn't get light while treating. Fenbendazole breaks down under light.
good luck.

edit: If you are in middle of no where chewy can have it to you in 2 days for 11 something and change.
Actually now that I've googled it they do look a lot like Rhabdocoela. All of the worms I've seen have a more of a rounded head then pointy. I will still keep an eye on them though and have the Fenbendazole on stand by if they do turn out to be planaria. I'm glad you mentioned that because I really don't like treating my tank if I don't have to.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom