Planara? Really?

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by brodylane1122, Jan 9, 2013.

1. brodylane1122

brodylane1122Well Known MemberMember

Sorry for poor spelling in title. I meant Planaria.

Ok, so today I spotted two planaria in my 20 gallon shrimp/neon tank...and I can't believe it. I clean this barebottom tank twice (sometimes 3 times) a week, getting about 90 percent of the stuff off the bottom. And I don't feed that much either. I feed my neons daily with small pellets. And I feed my shrimp/snails about 1/4 algae wafer and one large shrimp pellet every other day. So how do I have planaria????

Well, since my cleaning schedule is so rigid, I guess feeding even less is the only option right? Starting today, I'm going to feed my neons less each day and the shrimp/snails once every four days.

Any other ideas? This tank is easy to clean. It's barebottom and has very little in it. SOme driftwood with moss, a few plants and some rock structures, but mostly open. Here's a pic.
    Picture.jpg

2. shellieca

shelliecaValued MemberMember

I've quit worrying about planaria. It seems no matter what I do there's always some in one of my tanks, especially my 5.5g. It's not as bad as it was since I've cut back on feeding but they're still there.

3. Junne

JunneFishlore LegendMember

Oh no!!!! :(
    I wonder if it has something to do with the shrimp????? Seems like it comes more often with them, maybe someone could answer that!

Good luck!

4. geminichick_90

geminichick_90Valued MemberMember

i had some in my tank. they just went away after a while

5. AmazonPassion

AmazonPassionModeratorModerator Member

Did you order any plants from Aquatic Magic that you put into this tank?

A solution in killing planaria is to use fenbendazole a dewormer that you can get from PetSmart. The dosage is .1grams for every 10 gallons and it comes in a 2 gram packet

6. OP
    OP
    brodylane1122

Yeah, hopefully with continual cleaning and less feeding it will be the same for me. I only saw two of them.

No, i haven't ordered anything. I will try to go the natural way and keep the tank as clean as possible with less feeding before I try that.

Just wondering, is feeding my shrimp (30-40 of them) 1/4 algae wafer and 1 large pellet every four days enough. I know they don't need much. And as I have more, I'll feed more.

7. AmazonPassion

I now feed my shrimps everyday because I'm in the hundreds range.

8. OP
    OP
    brodylane1122

Do you think just feeding less and doing every 3 days would be better?

9. AmazonPassion

You could try....I've never had much luck getting planaria with the natural way. It would reduce their numbers but I would still have them.

That is why I used fenbendazole the brand is Safe-Guard and after using the meds I have never had a planaria problem again.

10. OP
    OP
    brodylane1122

Ok, thanks. What section do they sell it at? How did you dose it?

11. AmazonPassion

The deworrmer section where they keep the dog stuff.

The dosage is 0.1 grams per every 10 gallons.

First, I would grind the Fenbendazole into a fine powder as much as you can then I would get tank water in a small cup/shot glass then add the proper dosage of Fenbendazole (Safe-Guard) and let it dissolve and add to your tank. 12-24 hours later the Planaria should drop dead. I waited four days until I did a water change. It is shrimp/fish safe...however it is known to kill Nerites.

Here is a link:

http://www.aquaticplantcentral.com/...-planaria-hydra-elimination-shrimp-tanks.html

12. OP
    OP
    brodylane1122

Thanks, I may just do an even smaller dose then recommended, since I've only seen like two planaria. Hopefully, the smaller dose won't affect my nerite or MTS snails.

Thanks Amazon

13. AmazonPassion

If you have only two Planaria in your tank and not an infestation then I would off on the Fenbendazole. I don't want your Nerites to be killed. When you see a Planaria, you can use an airline hose to suck them out.

14. OP
    OP
    brodylane1122

Yes, I do not plan on dosing it unless it gets worse. I have a turkey baster to take care of the few that I see...hopefully won't have to use it.