Plan For Betta Planted Tank - Sound Good?

Good Plan/Tank mate plan

• Yes

Votes: 4 80.0%
  • No

Votes: 1 20.0%

• Total voters

ItsMeMariee

Reaction score
I want to start a betta tank, I have a 55 gallon tank that currently is empty lol ive been slowling buying things (gravel, water conditoner, heater, filter, net, food, some decorations) but now its time to start buying the live plants and getting the tank adjusted and start adding fish. I have researched and researched again but curious if anyone has their own experiences. If I shouldnt do the bettas and just in general if my plan sounds good (see picture for plan)

Attachments

Hunter1

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I think you will be fine.

My betta is in a 20 long with 6 sterbia corys, 2 Mystery Snails, 2 Nerite Snails.

I watch him cruise by the corys and he ignores them. Tonight I saw him swerve to avoid a mystery that was free falling from the top of the tank.

Don’t know about harlequins but they can easily avoid him.

david1978

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
How many bettas?

ItsMeMariee

Reaction score

johnbetta

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
plants for a betta tank I would go with java moss for bottom of tank and for the top riccia or duck weed all them plants are good for betta fish

Crapapples

Valued Member
Reaction score
My betta's LOVE wysteria (not sure if that's the right spelling), java ferns, cabomba and amazon swords. I place a load of cabomba on the top of the tank and they use this as a bed to lie in . I put a load of huge water lettuce on top as well and they love all the roots hanging down

Mazeus

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Wow that will be one happy betta in a tank that size!

Jocelyn Adelman

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Bettas also love anubias, there are a ton of different varieties out there, big and small. Like to rest on their leaves. Java ferns are another decent one.
Any plants will require good lighting, and possible ferts based on plant selection.
I would skip the freeze dried bloodworms, move to frozen. Or you can soak the freeze dried. Limit the amount you give to the SAE
Betta in a 55 planted tank might be tough, need the filtration gentle enough for him, but strong enough for the tank/plants to get good circulation....

Dinoter

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Sounds like a good plan . Don't know about the SAEs, but I haven't had much experience with them

DuaneV

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Jocelyn Adelman said:
Any plants will require good lighting
Not true. Lots of low-light plants can grow with hardly any light at all. Anubias and Java Ferns are prime examples. Matter of fact, the better the lighting, the more chance you'll have of having a hard time with them.

Kristian Acevedo

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Should be fine, a mate of mine has a 15 betta girl sorority, with embers, harlequins, and 2 schools of cories plus otos and it’s beautiful. 55 gallon like yours

Jocelyn Adelman

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
DuaneV unfortunately that’s a common misperception.
First, please note I said good lighting, not high or mid lighting... by good lighting I mean lights specifically geared for plant growth. There are a number of quality “low light” fixtures that are acceptable for low light plants. But stock lighting often doesn’t cut it. Low light does not mean bad light.
As for Java ferns, they need a bit more lighting then anubias. They can survive for some time in less then ideal conditions, but why have a plant survive vs. thrive?
Lowest lighting would be Marimo moss balls.
Next anubias
Followed by wisteria, Java fern, mosses, buce, etc
And so on and so forth.

I am not trying to present an argument here, but rather clear up a common misconception

Skye_marilyn

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
ItsMeMariee said:
I want to start a betta tank, I have a 55 gallon tank that currently is empty lol ive been slowling buying things (gravel, water conditoner, heater, filter, net, food, some decorations) but now its time to start buying the live plants and getting the tank adjusted and start adding fish. I have researched and researched again but curious if anyone has their own experiences. If I shouldnt do the bettas and just in general if my plan sounds good (see picture for plan)
I’m not sure if you can keep a cycle going with that much dead space and such a small bio load. You may be better off doing a female sorority tank if you want to make bettas work in a 55gal. You will either need more extra bottom feeders (ie Otos, BN pleco, snails, shrimp, etc) to add to the bioload or else your cycle will be quite unstable.

JamieXPXP

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Skye_marilyn said:
I’m not sure if you can keep a cycle going with that much dead space and such a small bio load. You may be better off doing a female sorority tank if you want to make bettas work in a 55gal. You will either need more extra bottom feeders (ie Otos, BN pleco, snails, shrimp, etc) to add to the bioload or else your cycle will be quite unstable.
The cycle will be fine. I've seen large tanks with similar stocking with no issues with the cycle

Toggle Sidebar

New Threads