Plan For Betta Planted Tank - Sound Good?

Discussion in 'Betta Fish' started by ItsMeMariee, Apr 24, 2018.

?

Good Plan/Tank mate plan

1. Yes

4 vote(s)
    80.0%
  2. No

1 vote(s)
    20.0%
  1. ItsMeMarieeNew MemberMember

I want to start a betta tank, I have a 55g tank that currently is empty lol ive been slowling buying things (gravel, water conditoner, heater, filter, net, food, some decorations) but now its time to start buying the live plants and getting the tank adjusted and start adding fish. I have researched and researched again but curious if anyone has their own experiences. If I shouldnt do the bettas and just in general if my plan sounds good (see picture for plan)

Attached Files:

2. Hunter1Well Known MemberMember

I think you will be fine.

My betta is in a 20 long with 6 sterbia corys, 2 Mystery Snails, 2 Nerite Snails.

I watch him cruise by the corys and he ignores them. Tonight I saw him swerve to avoid a mystery that was free falling from the top of the tank.

Don’t know about harlequins but they can easily avoid him.

3. david1978Fishlore LegendMember

How many bettas?

4. ItsMeMarieeNew MemberMember

Just 1 betta

5. johnbettaWell Known MemberMember

plants for a betta tank i would go with java moss for bottom of tank and for the top riccia or duck weed all them plants are good for betta fish

6. CrapapplesValued MemberMember

My betta's LOVE wysteria (not sure if thats the right spelling), java ferns, cabomba and amazon swords. I place a load of cabomba on the top of the tank and they use this as a bed to lie in :). I put a load of huge water lettuce on top as well and they love all the roots hanging down

7. MazeusWell Known MemberMember

Wow that will be one happy betta in a tank that size!

8. Jocelyn AdelmanFishlore VIPMember

Bettas also love anubias, there are a ton of different varieties out there, big and small. Like to rest on their leaves. Java ferns are another decent one.
    Any plants will require good lighting, and possible ferts based on plant selection.
    I would skip the freeze dried bloodworms, move to frozen. Or you can soak the freeze dried. Limit the amount you give to the SAE
    Betta in a 55 planted tank might be tough, need the filtration gentle enough for him, but strong enough for the tank/plants to get good circulation....

9. DinoterValued MemberMember

Sounds like a good plan . Don't know about the SAEs, but I haven't had much experience with them

10. DuaneVWell Known MemberMember

Not true. Lots of low-light plants can grow with hardly any light at all. Anubias and Java Ferns are prime examples. Matter of fact, the better the lighting, the more chance you'll have of having a hard time with them.

11. Kristian AcevedoValued MemberMember

Should be fine, a mate of mine has a 15 betta girl sorority, with embers, harlequins, and 2 schools of cories plus otos and it’s beautiful. 55g like yours

12. Jocelyn AdelmanFishlore VIPMember

@DuaneV unfortunately that’s a common misperception.
    First, please note I said good lighting, not high or mid lighting... by good lighting I mean lights specifically geared for plant growth. There are a number of quality “low light” fixtures that are acceptable for low light plants. But stock lighting often doesn’t cut it. Low light does not mean bad light.
    As for Java ferns, they need a bit more lighting then anubias. They can survive for some time in less then ideal conditions, but why have a plant survive vs. thrive?
    Lowest lighting would be Marimo moss balls.
    Next anubias
    Followed by wisteria, Java fern, mosses, buce, etc
    And so on and so forth.

I am not trying to present an argument here, but rather clear up a common misconception

13. Skye_marilynWell Known MemberMember

I’m not sure if you can keep a cycle going with that much dead space and such a small bio load. You may be better off doing a female sorority tank if you want to make bettas work in a 55gal. You will either need more extra bottom feeders (ie Otos, BN pleco, snails, shrimp, etc) to add to the bioload or else your cycle will be quite unstable.

14. JamieXPXPWell Known MemberMember

The cycle will be fine. I've seen large tanks with similar stocking with no issues with the cycle

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice