Places To Buy Wood With Tannin Already Boiled Out?

Discussion in 'Aquarium Aquascaping' started by all-out-fallout, Mar 30, 2018.

1. all-out-fallout

all-out-falloutValued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +34
    Experience:
    Just started
    I’m thinking about getting some driftwood for my new 20 gallon tank, but hearing about everyone’s struggles to soak and submerge their driftwood has made me reluctant to give it a try. Is there anywhere I can buy driftwood where at the very least the tannin has been boiled out of it so I can reduce prep time?​

2. JamieXPXP

JamieXPXPWell Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +1,589
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    not that i know of, soaking isnt very difficult it just takes time

3. OP
    OP
    all-out-fallout

Ratings:
    +34
    Experience:
    Just started
    Gotcha. One more question: could I just soak the driftwood in my tank (after boiling of course), or is the tannin potentially harmful? I don’t have fish right now—I’m doing a fishless cycle.​

4. shutterbug13

shutterbug13Well Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +376
    Experience:
    5 years
    Tannins aren't harmful, they just discolor the water and lower the pH so they can actually be good for many fish.

5. JamieXPXP

JamieXPXPWell Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +1,589
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    you can soak it in your tank if you want to, it wont sink right away might take a few days depending on the wood. tannins arent harmful just makes the water a tea colour and some fish love tannins in the water.

6. Thunder_o_b

Thunder_o_bFishlore VIPMember

Ratings:
    +5,898
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    I use only Mopani wood and never get tannins....So I add black water supplements to get it

7. OP
    OP
    all-out-fallout

Ratings:
    +34
    Experience:
    Just started
    I’m probably going to get a betta (have food for one and everything), and I’ve heard they like tannins. Maybe this is a good option for me!​

How has the mopani been holding up for you? I’ve been thinking about planting some anubias petit nana on my wood, but if the wood is quick to rot I don’t really want to lose all my plants along with it.​

8. Abby974

Abby974Valued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +43
    Where I’m thinking of getting my next driftwood is manzanita-driftwood.com. They pressure wash the pieces before they sell them but I believe they still leak some tannins.
    I have some smaller pieces that I just let leak tannins. I personally like the color.

9. Thunder_o_b

Thunder_o_bFishlore VIPMember

Ratings:
    +5,898
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    After a year some does rub off when I am chasing bladder snails (don't get me started on that mistake) I also use a SeaChem supplement that is said to accelerate the breakdown of wood. I am not convinced....Yet...

EDIT: Some shots of my Anubis on the Mopani. Forgive the low quality of the shots. These are just quick grab shots so you can see the Anubis and wood.

_MG_7807.

_MG_7809.

_MG_7817.

_MG_7813.

_MG_7819.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2018
  10. aussieJJDude

aussieJJDudeWell Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +2,130
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    As long as you stay away from grapevine, most woulds can easily last up to 5-10 years. A piece of wood - mangrove wood - my parents had lasted for 20 years, which it lost all its fine detailing but still great piece. I got rid of it due to wanting to get something different and not constantly loosing large chunks every time I wanted to move it.

11. ljm0104

ljm0104Valued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +7
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    When I buy mopani from larger box stores I do boil just to help anything harmful come off. My go to now is my giant crab boil pot but I have done super hot (at least where it is steaming) water in my bathtub before. I let it soak for about 3-4 hours changing water every hour. I mostly do this because I already have very soft water; if I had harder water I probably wouldn't even soak or boil. I have bought from manzanita-driftwood before and have had very little tannins or ph changes when using their wood. I believe AquaPro's from youtube has a coupon code for them as well.

12. Fanatic

FanaticFishlore VIPMember

Ratings:
    +6,101
    Experience:
    3 years
    Mopani is one of my all-time favorite types of driftwood. I once put a brand new piece in my 10 gallon without boiling it, and it turned the water dark red like I had put tea bags in my tank.
    Now I don't use as much wood in my tanks, except my 31 gallon for my bristlenose to suck on.

13. psalm18.2

psalm18.2Fishlore LegendMember

Ratings:
    +733
    Experience:
    5 to 10 years
    Depending on the size of your tank, spiderwood is a good option, doesn't leak tannins and usually sinks right away. Mopani will leach tannins if that's what you want and sink easily too. Manzina (spelling wrong) will take some time to sink as it usually floats. This has been my experiences.