Placement of filter head. 55 Gallon Tank

1. Digilistan Initiate Member

Hi there,

Just replaced the old filter with an Eheim 2215 canister filter. My question essentially is about where should I put the output hose in relation to it being above the water line / at the water line / or below it.

If I put it above, it breaks the surface of the water and introduces a lot of oxygen bubbles.

Putting it at, or below the water line makes it a lot quieter, and gently pushes the water around the tank.

I'm happy with either method - but was curious as to how people normally set theirs up. I've only gotten back into fish keeping after about a 10+ year hiatus, and all the technology etc has changed... for the better.

Any relevant info is appreciated!

quick edit: Does it matter the length of the perforated tube - the one that came with the eheim is about a foot long - can I, or should I get something longer? Does it even matter. Sorry for the inane questions.

2. Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

Hello Dig. Welcome to Fish Lore! :sign0016: I actually have my out flow tubes to my filtration under the water pointing towards the top of the tank. This keeps it quiet and still causes movement at the top of the water. So I suggest placing them either level with the water line or below and not above it. I'm sure you'll get some more responses.
    Ken:;rudolph

Edit: I just noticed you're setting up a salt tank. Others may suggest that the out flow go some where else so please wait for responses from salt members.

3. miner_skyline Initiate Member

I have the ehiem 2217 and I keep my outflow above the waterline, I also have a sump that is above my tank(japanese style) their is about a 7in difference between my waterline and the output of my sump, togeter with my ehiem it keeps my water very well oxygenated. I also agree with aquarist 48 it is a lot more quite if the output is in the water.