How Do I Place Filter Media In Odd Hob Filter

SujayThomas

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Hey,
So my somewhat overstocked 7G tank has a HOB filter (Sunsun 303HBL) which came with its own filter media (2 trays of carbon and thin sponge, side by side). This is a video I found which may help you see how it works (It's in Chinese, but you get the idea):

I would like to change the media to include Seachem's Purigen (100ml bagged), Phosguard (100ml bagged; I have a diatom problem, since it's a newish tank, with sand as the substrate) and Matrix. I also have coarse and fine sponges.

Would you suggest how best to place the media within the filter?

Asomeone

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Given that most of ur bb is in the replacable sponge I would not go removing it. I would try to stuff purigen/phosgaurd in the area after the sponge. It works best in high flow areas after particulate filtration, ie after mechanical filtration. I would personally also try to add some biomedia. Ceramic rings or the like. Given limited space with the chemical media id just stick individual rings wherever they'd fit after the mechanical filtration

SujayThomas

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Thanks!

I ought to have mentioned that I have a good collection of bacteria in some sponges and in Seachem Matrix that was in the filter during cycling and after. The new additions are Purigen and Phosguard.

The follow-up question to your suggestion would be: where would I place Matrix? Anywhere where there is space, like you suggested with the rings? Would the bacteria manage without oxygen, totally submerged?

Asomeone

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
I'm a bit confused by your question. Why would the media stop being submerged? Purigen and phosgaurd work best when the water is free of particulates. The bags they're in are rather fine and will quickly collect detritus. So they're best places after mechanical media. Bacteria can thrive in somewhat dry areas but that's normally left to things like wet/dry/trickle filters. Unless there is a constant supply of water to keep media moist you will have die off of bacteria and a reduction of bacteria in the tank. Purigen and phosgaurd do need to be completely submerged and work best in a high flow area.

SujayThomas

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Apologies. My question was specific to Matrix and its positioning, which functions similar to ceramic rings. Can they be placed anywhere there is space, or would they need to be exposed to air/high flow?

Asomeone

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Apologies. My question was specific to Matrix and its positioning, which functions similar to ceramic rings. Can they be placed anywhere there is space, or would they need to be exposed to air/high flow?
Ah gotcha. The same goes for matrix as it does for all biomedia. It is normally placed after mechanical filtration to reduce buildup of junk on it. It can be placed before mechanical media but I would rinse it in tank water every water change if this were the case. It does not need to be exposed to air to be effective. Flow is relative to the setup of the tank. Biomedia can find it's place in high and low flow areas. It's not so much about the flow as it is just ensuring it stays free and clear of debris.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom