Piranha tank theme

1. Anthony10 Member Member

Hey everyone! So I ended up with a piranha yesterday so I used my cycled 30gal for his (Just one) tank. I would not like to get rid of him! I was thinking a river theme, with rocks, driftwood, plants, and other miscellaneous deco. What would you do for deco?

Also, I've kept piranha before so I know how to care for them!

-Anthony

2. junebug Fishlore Legend Member

Cool, what kind of piranha is he? I thought they were all schooling fish...

Well the sad news is he'll destroy any plants you put in there, so I wouldn'tbother unless you want to try some floaters . Duckweed grows fast enough that it might survive.

Personally I would do a dark backdrop, perhaps with a rocky river theme, and large branch driftwood that spans the whole tank. I'd add river rocks along he bottom, sand or silty dirt for substrate, and maybe use the rocks and wood to make a cave.

3. Adam55 Well Known Member Member

Lots of places for him to hide. Like any fish that requires caves and stones, no sharp edges / corners are best. I used to care for piranhas back when I was a teen working at my LFS. They're cool fish with a reputation that is completely unfair. Enjoy.

4. Anthony10 Member Member

He's a red belly! Near max size too! So maybe hornwort? Duckweed I can get too. Yes, Adam, their reputation is so unfair, people think their some sort of blood-thirsty monster that gunna try and eat them while, their just the opposite! Their really a cool fish! Mines really skittish right now, walk past the tank and he jumped! I'll hopefully be getting some driftwood soon, might try to make the substrate sandy, I've never done it before so some research will be needed!

-Anthony

5. Jim Well Known Member Member

I remember when I was a kid the LFS had a piranha. The owner was changing the water when an employee knocked over a display. The owner, startled, looked toward the noise and forgot about the piranha; lost the first joint of his index finger. That made the paper and I saw the finger. After remembering that and reading Wiki:.......

"Attacks resulting in deaths are occurring in the Amazon basin. In 2011, a drunk 18-year-old man was attacked and killed in Rosario del Yata, Bolivia.[14] In 2012, a five-year-old Brazilian girl was attacked and killed by a shoal of P. nattereri.[15] Some Brazilian rivers have warning signs about lethal piranhas.[16] In 2011, in the Brazilian state of Piauí, brutal and recurring attacks resulted in 100 people being injured.[17] In the state of São Paulo, another attack in the Tietê River resulted in 15 injured people.[18] In the city of Palmas, Tocantins, 190 piranha attacks were reported in the first half of 2007.[19] On 25 December 2013, 70 bathers were attacked in Argentina.[20]

...........I don't understand how you say they are misunderstood?? How come they are banned in a large number of states?

6. Anthony10 Member Member

Piranhas only attack humans in aquariums if they are:

1) Startled
    2) If they feel they are trapped
    3) Defense

All those attacks in the amazon(and other rivers) are not in aquariums, remember, those attacks are done by 100s of piranhas at the same time!

They are banned in some states because of the risk of people releasing them into the wild, just think, all it takes is two piranha from different sexes to breed, if the conditions are right, the fry can grow. Soon, after those fry are grown up, they can breed! Being that piranhas eat fish, and that they don't have any natural predators, nothing can stop them. Before long, you have a body of water that is piranha infested! Kinda like the Asian carp, people brought them from Asia, someone released them, and now they have taken over the Mississippi!

-Anthony

7. hampalong Fishlore VIP Member

You've got a 12" Red Piranha (12" is 'near full size') in a 30 gallon?

Red Piranhas live in shoals, and since they grow over 12" their tank needs to be huge... at least 200g imo. They are also one of the most highly strung fish you could keep, even in a group, so one on its own in any size tank will be constantly highly stressed.

Piranhas don't hide in nature, so the very fact they are hiding means they're being kept in an unnatural way, and not at all 'happy'.

8. Anthony10 Member Member

Sorry, he is a red belly, but he has stayed at 6.5-7 inches for around a year. (I know this because I know the original owner, this was his last piranha. He was downgrading to a 55gal, so he was going to kill the poor piranha... I knew I had a 29gal that I was cycling for a community setup, and owning piranhas in the past, I knew how to take care of them. So, I took the piranha!

-Anthony

9. junebug Fishlore Legend Member

Unless you can accommodate a full school, I would really consider looking for a new home for him. It's sad, but he'll only be happy and healthy with others of his own kind.