Piranha constantly glass surfing, help!

GregTobin60

HI everyone,
So about 3 months ago I purchased a 55 Gallon tank. The tank was cycling for a month and half (fish in cycle + used cyled filter media + used API quick start) before adding four, one inch long red belly piranha, andIplan on moving them to my bigger tank when they outgrow this one. Once I was 100% sure it was cycled I added them (countless water tests). They acted normal, ate well, and seemed relaxed. Now, things suddenly changed in month 3. For the last week and a half they have been glass surfing non stop, and are now starting to go up for air. It isn't low oxegyn because I have an oversized hang on the back filter and an air pump adding oxegyn to the tank. It also isn't water parameters as far as I know, because Ive been testing daily since their behavior started, and Ammonia has been 0ppm, Nitrites 0pp, Nitrates around 10ppm, and PH 7.2-7.4. Ive also checked my tap water and that seems fine as well. If its not oxegyn, or water parameters, then what could it be?
List of recent adjustments Ive made to tank within last month:
-Moved around some Decor (to decrease hiding spots because they were fighting over them)
-Cleaned two walls of the tank with tank scrubber, I haven't done any other cleaning since its a somewhat new tank and I don't want to disturb it
-Weekly water changed 15-20% with declor (Done it a bit more than that since the behavior change to assure water is good)
-Used Green Killing Machine about 2 weeks ago, for a week or so, to kill an algae bloom that was started by putting something from another tank (with algae in it) into this tank. This was my most major tank adjustment. (maybe I contaminated the water or something by not cleaning the machine well enough before putting it in? Just thinking of all options at this point...)
Any advice would be greatly appreciated, there's no tank I could move them too right this second and I really want to figure this out before its too late Thanks

A201

Construct a complex elevated hardscape with driftwood & rocks, which provide many retreats. That type of setup works well for XL tetras.
Change out 50% of the water weekly. That is especially important for Pirhana & Silver Dollars. Although the water parameters might test well, there are benificial minerals & trace elements in water that quickly dissipate during the course of a week that need to be replaced.
Be a good idea to start planning for at least a 6 foot tank w/ an oversized filtration system. Hope this helps & Post pics.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
mlydeen
Replies
Views
coralbandit
5 Gallon Tank New Betta glass surfing
Replies
Views
ButtercuptheOranda
  • Question