Pipe Organ Coral Has Not Opened In 1-2 Months. Help Asap!

Discussion in 'Soft Coral' started by Sebastian Perdomo, Apr 15, 2018.

1. Sebastian Perdomo

Sebastian Perdomo Valued Member Member

I got a pipe organ coral colony back in late February. It was fine for a week or two, but since then it hasn't opened. I've read that debris could cause the coral not to open so I tried brushing it with a toothbrush (a brand new one of course with no chemicals added). No luck. The only thing that ended up happening is that the white stuff on top of the tube got brushed off as well as just a little of the red tube. I've tried moving it around my tank to see if it liked the different flow, higher lighting, higher lighting and direct flow, low flow, and now I'm trying medium flow with low lighting.
    The only chemical additives in the tank is a bit of "Chemi-Clean" for the bit of red slime algae on my rocks. Other than that I get the typical brown algae on the glass and sand and I remove that.
    I took my water to my LFS yesterday and they said my parameters are perfect.
    I need your help on what to do. Anything helps.

@Xbox62 @Tyler Fishman @KinsKicks @yupp

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 15, 2018
  2. Esimm03

Esimm03 Well Known Member Member

Hi,
    Sounds odd... I haven't kept a pipe organ before so can't give solid advice, I'm planning on getting one however. Have you tried feeding it with something like reef roids or similar to get it to come out or something?

Sorry I can't give too much help.

Ethan

3. OP
    OP
    Sebastian Perdomo

I have tried feeding it Mysis Shrimp, but I'll purchase some reef roids to see if that helps.

4. Iverg1

Iverg1 Well Known Member Member

Do you have any fish in there. It could be your over feeding in that case you should get some shrimp,crab,snail. Not an expert just googled

5. Esimm03

Ok, no garentee, do your other coral seem to be ok?

Maby @stella1979 or @grantm91 have experience.

6. stella1979

stella1979 Moderator Moderator Member

No experience with a pipe organ, but I do not recommend feeding an unhappy coral. It will get what it needs from the light, and should use it's energy getting better instead of digesting foods.

What comes to mind from my own experience is my first Ricordea shroom. It didn't look happy after the first few days in my tank, so I moved it, just like you. Weeks later it still wasn't happy so I moved it again. This went on a few times over 5-6 months. Finally, I put it back in the first spot, where I had thought it would be happy in the first place, and swore to leave it alone no matter what. Wouldn't you know it? A couple months after that it finally settled and looked happy. Soon after it propagated itself by moving, (a tiny move) most it's body off of the little rock it came on and into the main rockscape... precisely what I'd hoped would happen. It left a small part behind so now I have two of that guy.

Best advice? Corals like stability most of all. Keep the pipe organ in its low flow/med light spot, leave it alone, keep parameters stable and hope for the best. ;)

7. Esimm03

Ah, I thought if it was fed it may encourage it to come out, it worked for my tube worm, but that's not a coral.

I'd recommend reef roids anyway, as they have great results

8. OP
    OP
    Sebastian Perdomo

Yes, I do have 5 fish in there. My whole clean-up crew is due for a replacement considering there is one hermit left. Thanks for the advice. where did you find that info?

My other coral with the exception of a bleaching Setosa are doing fine. I moved the Setosa near where I keep my Blasto to see if it would enjoy the lower light.

9. Iverg1

Iverg1 Well Known Member Member

10. OP
    OP
    Sebastian Perdomo

Thanks everyone for your help. If I remember, I'll update you if it opens up.

11. stella1979

Please do. :)

12. OP
    OP
    Sebastian Perdomo

No improvements yet. Tried coral dipping Incase it was pests. No luck. How do I honestly know if it is dead?

13. stella1979

In my experience softies just melt when they die. I've had zoas just wither away to nothing. When I lost a torch coral, the tentacles started turning brown and slimy and eventually, it lost all it's flesh.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice