pink zebras?!

pinky93
Has anyody ever kept pink zebras? I jus got some to replace my old fish and they look beautiful!

TFA101
Well, the danio u described sounds like glo-fish, which are artificially colored fish. They have been injected with a needle, which contains paint, numerous times to produce proper color. This will cause premature death in your danios (may I add they are just painted Zebra Danios). The procedure is as follows:

1. The slime coat of the fish is removed with the fish being laid on a sterile "operating table"

2. The dye is injected in numerous places of the fish's body (this is what causes a short life)

3. The fish then has an artificial slime coat placed over it to encourage reconstruction of the slimecoat

4. The fish is put back into the aquarium, causing a premature death, or simply a shorter life.

Any fish with the name "painted", or containing colors that seem unnatural should be avoided at all costs. Your danios may be beautiful, but will only last for such a short time

Shawnie
Has anyody ever kept pink zebras? I jus got some to replace my old fish and they look beautiful!

I haven't seen any..bet its a beauty...I did see the other day a pink convict looked funny without the stripes....take a pic for us if you can..would love to see it!

JoshandDi
Well, the danio u described sounds like glo-fish, which are artificially colored fish. They have been injected with a needle, which contains paint, numerous times to produce proper color. This will cause premature death in your danios (may I add they are just painted Zebra Danios).

NOT TRUE AT ALL!!! Please do a little research before scaring people.
A little history on the GloFish:

In 1999, Dr. Zhiyuan Gong and his colleagues at the National University of Singapore extracted the green fluorescent protein (GFP) gene from a jellyfish that naturally produced bright green bioluminescence. They inserted the gene into the zebra danio genome, causing the fish to glow brightly under both natural white light and ultraviolet light. Their goal was to develop a fish that could detect pollution by selectively fluorescing in the presence of environmental toxins. The development of the always fluorescing fish was the first step in this process. Shortly thereafter, his team developed a line of red fluorescent zebra fish by adding a gene from a sea coral, and yellow fluorescent zebra fish, by adding a variant of the jellyfish gene.

They are genetically modified danios not "painted". I do agree with your disgust with painted fish techniques, but GloFish are not colored that way.

JoshandDi

They are the same as regular Zebra Danios, if what you are refering to is a GloFish Danio. The exact same actually, except for a protien from sea coral or jelly fish that gives them their color.

Fish Addict
Though they have not been "painted" which is terrible, they still have at one time been injected, just with genes instead of coloring... if the fish survives it can breed, and those may still have the same color... so while I still think glofish are terrible, they might not have been injected, so won't have as big of a stress as "painted fish"

JoshandDi
Though they have not been "painted" which is terrible, they still have at one time been injected, just with genes instead of coloring... if the fish survives it can breed, and those may still have the same color... so while I still think glofish are terrible, they might not have been injected, so won't have as big of a stress as "painted fish"

No. The fish are as healthy as other zebra fish in every way. Scientists developed them several years ago by adding a natural fluorescence gene to the fish eggs before they hatched, not into the fish. Then the gene integrates into the genome (i.e., genetic code) of the embryo, the developing fish will be able to pass the fluorescence gene along to its offspring upon maturity. Today's GloFish are bred from the offspring of the original fish.

FL CommunityFans

It is of no stress to the fish. JoshandDI explained it very well.

Fish Addict
ops: oh... well I guess I learned somethin new today!ops:

JoshandDi
ops: oh... well I guess I learned somethin new today!ops:

It happens. I just happen to LOVE danios. I've done a ton of research on them.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Jeffsglo
Replies
Views
Wobbegong
Replies
Views
Butterfly
Replies
Views