Pink Sore or Abrasions on Three Spot Gourami

Shambhalaubie

Tank
What is the water volume of the tank? 36 gallon curve front
How long has the tank been running? 1 1/2 years
Does it have a filter? Yes
Does it have a heater? Yes
What is the water temperature? 79F
What is the entire stocking of this tank? (Please list all fish and inverts.)
SEE AQUARIUM DETAILS
Maintenance
How often do you change the water? 1 time every 2 weeks
How much of the water do you change? 25%
What do you use to treat your water? SEE AQUARIUM DETAILS
Do you vacuum the substrate or just the water? Yes

*Parameters - Very Important
Did you cycle your tank before adding fish? Yes
What do you use to test the water? SEE AQUARIUM DETAILS
What are your parameters? We need to know the exact numbers, not just “fine” or “safe”.
Ammonia: 0
Nitrite: Reading didn't come out super accurate, but was a number other than 0, did a 50% water change immediately.
Nitrate: 50ppm<
pH: 7.0

Feeding
How often do you feed your fish? 1 time a day
How much do you feed your fish? As much as they can eat in 3 mins
What brand of food do you feed your fish? Tetra Color and Bug Bites
Do you feed frozen or freeze-dried foods?
No
Illness & Symptoms
How long have you had this fish? 2 years
How long ago did you first notice these symptoms? Today
In a few words, can you explain the symptoms? Red, pink open sore type injury under his chin and on his left side, small red bump on his right side (not as severe)
Have you started any treatment for the illness? Did 50% water change, added SeaChem Stress Guard, will be setting up a hospital tank tomorrow
Was your fish physically ill or injured upon purchase? No
How has its behavior and appearance changed, if at all? Behavior is the same, active but has red or pink abrasion on his left side and under his chin

Explain your emergency situation in detail. He is swimming fine, still eating, behavior is the same. The top sore looks like it is protruding out of his body a tiny bit like a small bump and the other one is flat, while under his chin looks like a rash. He has one small tiny red bump on his other side closer to his tail, but it doesn't look like the other spot. Did a 50% water change, added SeaChem Stress Guard as it looks like a open wound, setting up a hospital tank tomorrow for him. Wondering what everyone thinks about what he has and what the appropriate treatments would be and for how long. He's my favorite fish, his name is Shamb, hopefully this isn't something I can't cure.

Attachments

• 20210621_155354.jpg
    20210621_155354.jpg
    128.4 KB · Views: 15
  • 20210621_155356.jpg
    20210621_155356.jpg
    102.2 KB · Views: 16
  • 20210621_155357.jpg
    20210621_155357.jpg
    147.6 KB · Views: 15
  • 20210621_155358.jpg
    20210621_155358.jpg
    114.6 KB · Views: 15

awilkinson871

I can't tell you what the cause is but I would increase from the 25% water change every two weeks to make sure the water is pristine to help with infection. If possible you may want to move it to a hospital tank with some seeded media in the filter. I would keep the water super clean and keep an eye on it. The first sign of infection then I would consider medication.

Upvote 0

Shambhalaubie

I can't tell you what the cause is but I would increase from the 25% water change every two weeks to make sure the water is pristine to help with infection. If possible you may want to move it to a hospital tank with some seeded media in the filter. I would keep the water super clean and keep an eye on it. The first sign of infection then I would consider medication.
Thanks for the reply. I've went today and got my old 10 gallon back from a friend, hopefully that will be fine just for a hospital tank. Setting it up this evening, will be using SeaChem Prime for the water, it will start running tonight. Should I let it run with no media for 48 hours before I put him in? Not sure what seeded media is, never used it before. Would you mind educating me a bit here. The tank is an Aqueon.
Looks like the issue might be Hexamita aka Lateral line disease, aka Hole in the Head disease.
Look on line for medicated foods designated for Hexamita.
Thanks for your reply, do you have any recommendations? I've seen some water medication but no food for that specifically in my search. Never encountered a fish with this disease before, so I'm "lost at sea" so to speak, and I've seen quite a few. I feel so bad for him .

Upvote 0

A201

I looked on line & found " Angel's Plus Medicated Fish Flake. They sell antibacterial flakes. Protozozoan flakes & dewormer flakes. My guess is your fish might benifet from the dewormer.

Upvote 0

poconofishguy

Looks like a nice Opaline Gourami to me. I'd suspect abrasion wounds at first. Add it to a clean hospital tank without plants or gravel and closely observe if it gets worse before any further treatment.

Upvote 0

Shambhalaubie

Update August 2021: After dosing with Seachem Stress Guard, and changing the water every day for one week, every second day for two, ect, adding a small amount of aquarium salt as well, it looks like his problem has healed. He always had a lot of hiding behavior before his injury (I just assumed he was a moody fish) and he did just that throughout this process. However, I am SO happy to inform that he has been out significantly more in the last two days, since the end of treatment. He swims out in the open more frequently now, and I couldn't be happier with this change! He loves that huge kelp like plant I added to the aquarium, I did that just for him. I have now moved back to water changes only once a week on Thursdays.
20210805_194742.jpg

Attachments

• 20210805_195249.jpg
    20210805_195249.jpg
    97.3 KB · Views: 11
  • 20210805_195251.jpg
    20210805_195251.jpg
    99.1 KB · Views: 9
  • 20210805_194836.jpg
    20210805_194836.jpg
    140.2 KB · Views: 10
Upvote 0