PINK Parrat fish

Status
Not open for further replies.

anaugle

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I was at my LPS and seen this beautiful pink parrot fish. I was going to buy it right there and then. But i resisted and wanted to check them out on line to see what i needed to take care of them. I was reading that these fish are dyed fish and it is recommended to stay away from them. Does anyone know why to stay away? Other than not to promote the painful process of the dyeing of fish. Do they have medical problems because of the dye? And what is the natural color of these fish? Thanks,..I really want one no matter what color because I like their face and lips!♥ But I need info on these before I jump in head first

steed1172

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
well other than being slightly cruel to the fish(causing much pain, and stress, many probably die during the procces.. but thats just a hunch) it doesn't last all too long, and as far as i know you can't get them redone( not that i would want to put a fish through that twice) for care on them, i don't know to much other than they can get big8+ inch and need llotsa room.. as for care these links may help-https://www.fishlore.com/aquariummagazine/feb09/br-parrot-cichlid.htm

cm11599ps

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
If it is a colored fish then the dye job won't last more than a couple of months. Once it starts fading the colors become all blotchy. My parrot was like that (didn't know about the process at the time) and he is now a shade of pink.

I've had him for 6 years or so now and I can't say he's ever experienced any medical problems.

cm11599ps

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
`thx guys for the info!! I'm gonna do some reading and most likely go back and get one.

If you do buy it then please realise you're only contributing to a problem. Many of these parrotfish do not survive the coloring process. If you purchase the fish then the people who color the fish will continue to color them because they are selling. If people stop buying them then there won't be any need to put these fish through that process. Like I said, the color fades after a few months.

This of course only applies if the fish is artificially colored.

harpua2002

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
If you do buy it then please realise you're only contributing to a problem. Many of these parrotfish do not survive the coloring process. If you purchase the fish then the people who color the fish will continue to color them because they are selling. If people stop buying them then there won't be any need to put these fish through that process. Like I said, the color fades after a few months.

This of course only applies if the fish is artificially colored.
+1. This is a cruel process that gives our hobby a bad name. By purchasing these animals, you are only ensuring that this abhorrent trend will continue. Please vote with your dollar and don't buy dyed fish.

crazedACD

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
There are true, red/orange parrotfish that are not dyed if you are interested in the parrots . Much better choice than the dyed ones, and the natural color stays.

Butterfly

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Excellent feedback on dyed fish. In case you don't know what all is involved with dyed fish here is some information http://www.deathbydyeing.org/moreau.htm
unfortunately most of the pictures aren't available anymore.
If you decide to buy them please bypass the dyed ones and get regular parrots . What size tank were you thinking of?
carol

sirdarksol

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Welcome to Fishlore! Thanks for asking about this topic. Whatever you decide to do, it's good to go into it knowing what you're getting into.

Does anyone know why to stay away? Other than not to promote the painful process of the dyeing of fish.
That would be the number one reason not do do it. It is incredibly painful, and kills a significant number of fish. It's the equivalent of giving a human a full-body tattoo in a short time and without their consent.

Do they have medical problems because of the dye? And what is the natural color of these fish?
Presuming they're working with blood parrots, the color they are normally born with is usually orange, though I believe there are color morphs being bred (don't quote me on that.
And yes, there are numerous medical problems with the process. Aside from the high rate of initial deaths, the fish remain susceptible to a wide variety of diseases such as velvet and ich for the rest of their lives.

OP
anaugle

anaugle

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Thanks everyone......I think I might get an orange/red one. Their original color!! I do like the look of their faces, so not contributing to this horrific process of dyeing I'll go with the original color.Thanks for all the input.

harpua2002

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Good for you! ;D

One way to be sure that the fish you are buying has not been dyed is to buy a gray juvenile. Parrots are kind of mottled gray when they are juvies and they grow into their color later on. It's really neat to watch their color change.

Aquarist

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Good morning,

I'm glad to read that you are considering Bloody Parrots. Some great suggestions above as to buy the orange ones and not the dyed ones. The two last juvenile Bloody Parrots I purchased were the size of a quarter and completely orange. Keep in mind that some may be orange with black spots or molted gray as Harpua has mentioned. The spots will disappear. It's normal for the orange ones to turn black at times while they are juveniles (or spotted with black) and it will fade away.

These fish are a wonderful species to have. I do suggest that these fish be kept in twos or multi's. For a 46g tank I wouldn't recommend more than two. They love to have a buddy of their own kind to chum around with. Too, by having two, you'll get to see their true personalities.

My largest Bloody Parrot at the moment is 9x6.5. If you'll click on my name and go to my profile, I have a video there along with some photos of my Bloody Parrots.

Best wishes! I hope you enjoy them as much as I do.

Ken

OP
anaugle

anaugle

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
In my 46g tank I have an albino red tailed shark 2 yo-yo loaches a common pleco and 2 mollies(which I plan to move to a different tank of just all mollie tank as soon as it is cycled). Would 2 parrots be too much for the tank while they are juvenilles? Should I get a bigger tank for them and maybe put my Angels with them too?(I know you'll say yes but I need more space in my apartment first before I get one and the $$$ too) I do plan on getting a bigger one but I have to wait a while. Do they grow fast?

OP
anaugle

anaugle

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
thx Meenu. I will without a doubt get a larger tank but maybe your right,....I should wait til I actually have the tank before I get them. Less stress on them when I do have to move them. I really appreciate all the good info I get from here. I'm glad I joined!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Toggle Sidebar

Top Bottom