Pink Kissing Gouramis

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alisa12345

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Hello. I have two male pink kissing gouramis. One is about 4.5" the other is 2.5". I've noticed the bigger one chasing the smaller one around and 'kissing' him. It doesn't seem like he is hurting the smaller one. Should I be concerned? Is there any way I can help it without rehoming one?

Fishy McGee

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
When they “kiss” they are actually establishing the hierarchy but not to worry, they will live happy and healthy as is!

scarface

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Actually, no, this behavior removes the slime coat of fish, eventually killing them. Kissing gouramies are known to be highly aggressive even against other species. When properly cared for, they are long-lived fish, potentially a lifetime commitment.

Fishy McGee

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Actually, no, this behavior removes the slime coat of fish, eventually killing them. Kissing gouramies are known to be highly aggressive even against other species.
I thought that they were kissing kissing rather than “nipping.” The locking of mouths doesn’t harm the fish. If they were nipping that would be different

coralbandit

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
They are a food fish where they are breed …
They grow to well over 12" if kept in correct sized tank and few other fish do well with them.
Plecos [common] do well with them. Between 2 kissers and 2 plecos you are looking at a 180 gallon tank minimum.

OP
Alisa12345

Alisa12345

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
They are a food fish where they are breed …
They grow to well over 12" if kept in correct sized tank and few other fish do well with them.
Plecos [common] do well with them. Between 2 kissers and 2 plecos you are looking at a 180 gallon tank minimum.
I have 1 common pleco and the 2 kissers in a 75 for now. Ive also noticed the pleco chasing the bigger gourami around but i think it's because I don't keep a constant feeding schedule

candiedragon

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Kissing gourami are actually capable of rasping with them lips, so the kissing action is actually potentially harmful. If you don't want to re-home then maybe consider a divider? I'm not sure if and how you could make it work long term. They're going to try and duke it out until one claims dominance or die trying.

As for the pleco, you might want to get some meaty food for it. Otherwise he's going to latch onto your kissers to eat the body slime off of them. That's probably what he's trying to do. Unfortunately my brother tossed a pleco in our koi pond without us knowing, I'm pretty sure he's been the root cause of some deaths by eating the tasty body slime... because lord knows he ain't eating the algae, food, or detritus... I finally was able to catch and remove him from the pond. I've noticed a huge change in attitude in the kois. They're not skittish now, very active, and overall in much better health. No torn fins and mysterious redness on their sides.

coralbandit

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
He is the armored fish so their kissing will not get to him.
A 75 should last them long enough to see if they are really what you want to keep.
Both fish [pleco and gourami] can create a massive bio load. They will eat like pigs but you must keep up on water changes for them to do best .
God luck. I remember 2 kissing gouramis in an old school 55g in the hall in front of the principles office of my elementary school. Was kind of cool to watch the fish while waiting even then !o_O

OP
Alisa12345

Alisa12345

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Thank you all! I drop some shrimp in the tank every once and a while for him but I guess he needed more. I'll think about getting a divider foe the gouramis

Status
Not open for further replies.
Toggle Sidebar

Water Change Frequency?

• Daily

Votes: 1 1.8%
  • Weekly

Votes: 36 65.5%
  • Every Two Weeks

Votes: 8 14.5%
  • Monthly

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • As Needed (from test kit results or based on knowing your tank)

Votes: 10 18.2%

Top Bottom