Pink Kissing Gouramis fighting - aquarium salt for stress?

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by bmackw, Mar 10, 2016.

1. bmackw

bmackwValued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +0
    I have a new 20 gallon tank with 2 black Mollies, 5 Neon Tetras (used to be 6 :\), and 2 Pink Kissing Gouramis (used to be 3 :\). I'm confident that I won't lose anymore fish thanks to a poor cycling start, but I'm now concerned that one of my Gouramis is getting too stressed by the other. They're two males and they absolutely love to kiss-fight, but I can tell one definitely dominates as the other will try to back away. Sometimes I catch them speeding around the tank chasing each other and kissing at the body, which I read was harmful to the stress coat. Should I add two tablespoons of aquarium salt-- most importantly will this cause danger for the other fish, especially the Tetras? I'm fearful for them the most because I'm supposedly not meeting their pH needs for the sake of the other fish. That's probably why I lost one. And the Gourami I lost could've easily been from stress, I think I have a bully. Any help appreciated, thanks.

2. qchris87

qchris87Well Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +267
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    Hello and welcome to FishLore!

Kissing gouramis get can get up to 12 inches. Unfortunately your tank is too small to house even one of them. Many sites suggest minimum for one is 30 gallons but imo it should be at least a 55. The dominant gourami most likely killed the other one and will do the same to the weaker one due to how small the tank is. If you were to keep one in the 20 gal, the neons may become a snack. I advise rehoming them or upgrading to a bigger tank.

3. Anders247

Anders247Fishlore LegendMember

Ratings:
    +4,195
    Experience:
    5 to 10 years
    Welcome to fishlore!
    A 55 is only 12 inches wide, so I'd say a 75 gallon minimum for kissing gouramis.

Don't use aquarium salt, it's a gimmick imo and will cause more harm than good.

4. OP
    OP
    bmackw

Ratings:
    +0
    qchris87 Anders247 (not sure if tagging works on here..) thank you both, I know they'll grow a ton, we're planning on getting an old 95 gal. going where I'm planning to have them along with a few others. Since they're just about 2 inches at the moment, and there isn't really any alternative yet, they're going to have to stay where they are. But, should I give the aquarium salt a try? I have Jungle brand.

5. qchris87

qchris87Well Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +267
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    Tagging most definitely works bmackw

How soon do you think you'll get that 90? Like anders said, I wouldn't add salt. Can mess with their osmoregulation and actually stress them out more.

6. OP
    OP
    bmackw

Ratings:
    +0
    qchris87 we're working on getting the gravel cleaned, but it's a long process that we're doing as efficiently as possible with little free time. i'm planning on putting bala sharks in, would you (or anyone else) agree with that idea, having the gouramis with them?

7. I3uckethead

I3ucketheadWell Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +14
    Experience:
    1 year
    Bala sharks get over 12" and need to be in schools of 6+.
    Unless you've got a custom tank with a very wide footprint, bala sharks aren't really appropriate.

8. Anders247

Ratings:
    +4,195
    Experience:
    5 to 10 years
    Yeah, bala sharks won't work. They get way too big for this tank. They need a 150g tank min.

9. OP
    OP
    bmackw

Ratings:
    +0
    @l3uckethead Anders247 what do you recommend to go along with the gouramis in the 95 gallon, then?

10. Anders247

Ratings:
    +4,195
    Experience:
    5 to 10 years
    How about denison barbs?

11. OP
    OP
    bmackw

Ratings:
    +0
    Anders247 sounds good to me. thank you for all your help!!

12. Anders247

Ratings:
    +4,195
    Experience:
    5 to 10 years
    No problem!