Pink kissing gourami still not growing?

bmackw

Valued Member
Reaction score
I've had two since about January and one is around average growth rate (approx. 4-5 inches) and the other is still 1-2! He grew normally with the first few weeks alongside his brother to get to where he is now (I call them brothers because they get along well but love to play fight). It seems like all of a sudden, he stopped growing. I watch him eat, so he's not undernourished. I've been thinking he's been dwarfed, but apparently that doesn't happen with kissers? (someone told me that on here) Does he have a health problem that I can't see? (I use that term "see" loosely, he's clearly much smaller and hasn't developed his fully pink color either)

ImageUploadedByFish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum1462003905.186191.jpg

hopefully that angle is good enough where you can notice the size difference, and the color if you look closely.

weiji

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
well it certainly is possible that different individuals can reach to different body size even if they were born the same time by the same parents, not to even mention if they were born by different parents.

i have once got 6 head tail light tetra at one store and then three of them grew up to around 4cm while another two of them only reached to about 2.5 cm.

as long as the smaller one of your kissing gourami responds to food actively then i dont really think there is anything you need to be worried about.

bmackw

Valued Member
Reaction score
weiji great to hear. thank you!

and my neon tetra actually are growing differently too, one is sort of the runt and hasn't gotten fat or quite as long as the others have. he eats well too, I haven't been worried about him at all though. he has the most vibrant colors of all my tetra.

weiji

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
@weiji great to hear. thank you!

and my neon tetra actually are growing differently too, one is sort of the runt and hasn't gotten fat or quite as long as the others have. he eats well too, I haven't been worried about him at all though. he has the most vibrant colors of all my tetra.
no prob. there are always tons of conditions which are able to decide a creature's size, color, bodyshape and such. but what really matters somehow at least for me is always if my fish are healthy which, can easily be observed through the breathing pace and the their response towards food. as long as those remain normal there is really nothing else I would still need to be worried about

slayer5590

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
The smaller one will eventually die from stress. Two is the worst number of kissers to keep. Keep one or a group of them.

weiji

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
The smaller one will eventually die from stress. Two is the worst number of kissers to keep. Keep one or a group of them.
i do think it depends. i mean kissing gourami certainly does happen to have the stronger one pick on the rather weaker one. but if the space in the tank is rather big enough, i dont think it would be an issue to keep only a pair of them in the same tank at all.

bmackw

Valued Member
Reaction score
slayer5590 i had an issue with nipping for a short time, but they get along well now. they're both healthy and love hanging around each other.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom