Pink Gourami Tankmates?

Alisa12345
Hey guys! I got a male pink kissing gourami yesterday and today I noticed that he was trying to chase around my pleco. Should I get another male so they can chase each other and leave my pleco alone?

Seth15
Personally I wouldn't recommend getting another, it may end in both gourami fighting and being injured.

Maybe rehome the kissing gourami or pleco.

Alisa12345
Personally I wouldn't recommend getting another, it may end in both gourami fighting and being injured.

Maybe rehome the kissing gourami or pleco.

I could get a tank divider if you think that'll help

TexasDomer
What size tank is this? What else do you have in the tank? What kind of pleco is it?

Alisa12345
What size tank is this? What else do you have in the tank? What kind of pleco is it?

20 gallons, just the kisser, pleco and a black mystery snail, and he's a common pleco about 1 year old and 3"

75g Discus Tank
Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but both fish will outgrow the tank.

Common plecos can grow around 18-24 inches and kissing gourami 8-12 inches.

TexasDomer
The small tank size could be contributing to the stress.

Alisa12345
They won't stay in the tank forever obviously. They will go into a bigger spot but for right now that's all I have and they are both 2-3 inches. Plenty of space for both considering that's all that's in there

TexasDomer
Even if it looks like plenty of room to you, that doesn't mean that it is to them. You should always stock for the tank size you have, not the one you plan to upgrade to in the future.

Alisa12345
Even if it looks like plenty of room to you, that doesn't mean that it is to them. You should always stock for the tank size you have, not the one you plan to upgrade to in the future.

I have nothing else to put them in. That's the biggest tank I have and my family can't afford to buy this huge tank for 2 fish. They will be moving to a pond when they get too big for my tank

TexasDomer
Why not move them to a pond now?

Unfortunately, if you're going to get a big fish, you need to be able to afford a big tank for them. This is really too small even for a grow out tank for them

Alisa12345
Why not move them to a pond now?

Unfortunately, if you're going to get a big fish, you need to be able to afford a big tank for them. This is really too small even for a grow out tank for them

If I move them to a pond now then my family just spent 100$ setting up the 20 for absolute nothing PLUS it's too cold for them to go in a pond right now so it's either they stay in a nice heated tank or die in the cold pond. All I asked the people of Fishlore is it I needed to get another gourami and it seems like nobody paid attention to that question.

aquatickeeper
I wouldn't get another gourami.

Alisa12345
Redshark1
The question was answered immediately in post 2.

People spend lots of money on an aquarium but ignore free information about the fish.

Stunting is all that will happen in a 20 gallon to a Kissing Gourami.

Alisa12345
With all due respect to the fish people here, my pleco and gourami will NOT stay in the 20 for the rest of their lives. Once they get to 7" they will move to a pond

TexasDomer
Staying in the 20 gal until they reach 7" is way too long.

Alisa12345
Staying in the 20 gal until they reach 7" is way too long.

Well its going to take us a long time to get everything for a pond, dig a hole for the pond, and cycle it so they're going to have to wait that long

TexasDomer
It would be best for the fish to rehome them then, and get the fish when you have the pond ready for them to go into sooner. It may not be best for you, but you don't want to stunt your fish or keep them in cramped conditions. Leaving them until they're both 7" in a 20 gal is not fair to them.

Are you sure the pleco is a common pleco? He should likely be bigger than that if he's a year old and healthy.

Alisa12345

20180406_145440.jpg this is my pleco. The tank he was in said he was a common. Dont know for sure if he's a year old. 1 year was a rough estimate

TexasDomer
How long have you had him? He does look like a common to me (vs the similarly looking female BN pleco), but I'm not an expert at pleco ID.

Alisa12345
How long have you had him? He does look like a common to me (vs the similarly looking female BN pleco), but I'm not an expert at pleco ID.

I bought him on December 27 last year

Alisa12345
This is what he looked like when I first got him and if you ask me he lools better now then before
20171227_100623.jpg

TexasDomer
He was really young then, and it's good you're fattening him up. I just think you'll have health and stunting problems if you wait until they're 7" before moving them to a pond.

Alisa12345
He was really young then, and it's good you're fattening him up. I just think you'll have health and stunting problems if you wait until they're 7" before moving them to a pond.

Whenever we get the pond fully set up (probably by mid to late summer) then they will move

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
DoubleDutch
Replies
Views
MissRuthless
Replies
Views
~Matt~
Replies
Views