Pink Gourami is Super Ageessive

• Thread starter DesertFishman
  • Start date

DesertFishman

Background: I have a established 100G community tank of 3 years. 6 months ago I bought a pair of Pink Gouramis one died in quarentine tank. First time I've owned Gouramis.The currently tank is stocked with two Koi Angel's,4 YoYo loaches, 1 Senegalese Bicher (1 year old) 1 clown pleco, 1 high fin spotted pleco,1 Green spotted silver dollar, 1 red fin Silver Dollar, 1 Black Knife fish, 2 pictus catfish. I added the Gourami and it was great for about 5 months till it sized up a bit the he wont leave the silver dollars alone. The Angel's will team up and fight back but the silver dollars are always on the run. Its beyond food aggression. Is there a technique to calm this or am I destined to have another tank for him ? I am pushing the limits of how many tanks I can keep right now but the pink Gourami is a beautiful fish to watch when hes not in a hole mode. Just looking for advice on what can be done.

Redshark1

Fishlore VIP
I love the Pink Kissing Gourami so I expect that's the one you have.

They are quite territorial and without others of the same species to chase away they will use what's available LOL!

I'd advise people wanting to keep them to keep them singly with smaller faster fish and let them boss the tank. Then they are great and will feed from your hand or take flakes from the surface. They are long-lived and healthy robust fish. A great pet.

I'd say the same for keeping (not breeding) Angels and many Cichlids. They are best single in that you will have a more satisfying ownership experience.

DesertFishman

Yes it is a pink kissing gourami. I've heard about time outs and all that but just seems like waste of time since they dont have the ability for reason. Well I was trying to avoid another tank for now but I want him happy and healthy. So twist my arm looks like I gotta fire up another box. Any suggestions on tank mates ?

Redshark1

Fishlore VIP
Nothing shaped like a Gourami. Nothing that can't zap away when the kissing comes along!

I believe that if you really like a species of fish then you do everything in your power to care for that one.

That's my attitude with my Clown Loaches.

Top Bottom