Pineconing Goldfish

1. SarahFish Member Member

So, I figured I would give cold water fish a try.

I emptied my 20 gallon tank, which most of the fish in died from a disease that spread though all them of them despite my attempts at medication, filled it up with all new fresh water, added a very fine silica sand, and an extra filter.

Then I added two small goldfish-1 comet and 1 fantail. Then after a bit I added 2 weather loaches, and eventually a very small pleco for the algae that has been building up due to the sun shining in more in the mornings.

They were doing great for a while then the comet started to go downhill. The commet, before it was bought was treated with several other goldfish at the store before I bought him because ich and some other disease spread throughout the crop, I later found out.
    While the commet didn't make it, the fantail, who was a little bigger, did. So I went to a different store, and got two more-a very tiny 1 inch fantail I couldn't resist and a larger comet.

Everyone was doing okay for the first few days. Then a few mornings ago, I fed everyone as usual, went to school, came back around 2pm and my first larger fantail had pineconed and had puffy eyes. (he had come from a different tank than the treated sick ones) I had recently noticed he was hiding a lot and lying on the sand.

I took him out and put him in my large bucket I use for putting fresh water in for cleaning tanks-holds approx 20g of water, maybe a bit more. I through in a little epsom salt and waited for morning, when I expected to find him dead.

A day later he was still alive, so I tried some bloodworms. He ate them! (he had never stopped eating) So spirits were starting to come up a little. I noticed maybe a day after that his scales were less stuck off and his eyes less puffy. Gave him bloodworms the next day and he ate those as well.

Maybe 3 or so days since I put him in the bucket, he became more and more normal. More mobile, eating worms, pooping, and his body had basically gone back to normal.

No one else in the tank is exhibiting any of this behaviour except the new goldfishes who Ive probably had a week now, seem to lie on the sand a lot.

I was thinking I would move the goldfish in the bucket back into the tank on Monday or Tuesday. Today he is looking perfect, ate a shrimp pellet and is moving around a bit. I am going to change some of his water. I did, however, do a little water change yesterday and added a bit more epsom salt.

Any thoughts?

Also, please keep comments on overstocking to yourself. They will all be moved to the 30 gallon the fall and probably eventually the 55g when I get a 125 for the sharks.

Water prams are
    7.2 ph
    0 ammonia
    0 rites
    5 rates

take out about 4ish gallons every Friday & feed flakes, bloodworms, veggie rounds, and shrimp pellets.

2. yusufm52 Member Member

Hi there, and nice to here that your fish is getting better, i would probably not put the the large fantail back with other just yet, just make sure that others are not infected by what the fantail had,keep the water changes going on for a week and see for any change in the behavior of the fishes in the tank, if you do have an extra tank i would suggest transferring the remaining fishes in there and dosing them with teramycin 500mg twice a day, the meds is an anti biotic med but thats if they don't get well even after a week of continuous water changes. this works out for me, but most of the time just frequent water changes helps out.. :)

3. SarahFish Member Member

I do not have an empty tank right now and I don't have the money to buy medications. I will leave him in the bucket for a the week, and just keep an eye on the others. I worry about him in the bucket though, because the temperature drops really low in the night and on cold days. The 20g has a heater which keeps the temp in the tank steady at 22*C.

I could move the bigger fantail bank in the tank and move and monitor the others in the bucket? To be fair they came second..
    this could also keep the other fish in the tank from getting whatever the others may have.. this all happened when I added the two new goldfish.

Oh and since the fantail has been getting better, as of Friday I took the Tetra Whisper 20-40 off the 20g and put it on the bucket.

4. gremlin Well Known Member Member

With goldfish, you don't really have to worry too much about the water temperature changes. My pond fluctuates as much as 40 degrees from day to night with no problems. If you are worried, you can wrap a towel or blanket around the bucket to help insulate the water - so it doesn't change quite so much.

Sorry I can't help with the med part - the only medication I've ever used is Ich Attack and Melafix.

5. yusufm52 Member Member

the medication which i have suggested aren't that expensive they might be a dollar for an entire box. check it out at your local pharmacy.
    just keep up the water changes on both the tank and the bucket and see how the fishes repsond, and goldfishes are coldwater fishes and don't require any kind of heaters, the optimum temp for them is around 15*c - 12* but they do as well in the higher temp range of 27*c - 28*c (all temp are in Celsius and not Fahrenheit). so dont worry about the temp fluctuations in the bucket as the water is always going to be at room temp, control the room temp instead of the water, like keeping the doors and windows closed.. :)