Pineconeing

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish Disease' started by sad5266, Dec 17, 2012.

1. s

sad5266 New Member Member

Does any one know what causes Pineconing? ive had 3 in the past month, and am about to go away for 2 weeks and don't want to lose any more while im gone.

2. llfish

llfish Well Known Member Member

3. Orion5

Orion5 Well Known Member Member

Dropsy (pineconing) is a bacterial infection mostly due to low water quality. Treatment options are few, and rarely work. With regular water changes and good maintenance habits almost always control this bacteria.

Good luck!

4. JRC3

JRC3 Well Known Member Member

What is the age and what kind of fish? Old fish at the end of their lifespan will slowly get to this.

Do you have a GSP and an F8 in a 5g tank?

5. OP
    OP
    s

they have all been mollies, and they were getting to be around a year old. I remember having trouble keeping fish when i started, they wouldn't transition right, and one gave birth and those were the mollies that keep getting dropsy.

6. JRC3

JRC3 Well Known Member Member

If the mollies are that young then there is probably a water quality problem as stated earlier. What are the paramaterss of your water and how large and frequent are your water changes.

And what about those puffers. How are they doing?

7. OP
    OP
    s

I have a 29 gallon tank. the levels are all normal the pH is at 7.5 and i keep 1tbs of salt for every 5 gallons of water.

8. soltarianknight

soltarianknight Fishlore VIP Member

Dropsey is not a bacterial infection. Dropsey is a symptom of any illness that causes organ failure and fluid build up. Dropsy is not an illness itself. The reason why treatment of dropsy rarely works is because 1. curing symptoms is hard and 2. dropsy is considered a final stage symptom. The fact that it is generally a symptom of organ failure is why it is hard to treat, treating a fish for organ failure with meds is extremely hard to do.

What kind of salt are you using? 1tbsp per 5gals is a bit much, molleys do like salt, but they like marine salt, not aquarium salt. What do you feed and what is your testing method for perams?

9. OP
    OP
    s

I've been feeding them tetra fin flakes. I have been using Aquarium salt, and wanted to cut back to maybe grow plants so ill start that next change, and i just ran my tests again using my Aquarium Pharmacuticals Fresh water aquarium testing kit.

pH 7.2 NO2- 0ppm NH3/NH4- 0.5 ppm and NO3 10 ppm.

The url below is to the kit that i use to test.

Last edited: Dec 21, 2012
  10. soltarianknight

soltarianknight Fishlore VIP Member

The only thing i can comment on here is that Ammonia should always read 0 in a stable tank and Tetra Fin flakes are terrible in nutrition.

11. OP
    OP
    s

just lost another one. I found these things growing in my castle that look like little sesame seeds. would these have anything to do with it?

12. OP
    OP
    s

I only have one puffer (I call him puffy) and he is better than ever!

13. OP
    OP
    s

All but one of my mollies have died the same way. the one that is left looks like she is decomposing. her scales are flaking off and her fins look as if they have been torn. Do you think it could just be stress?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice