Pineapple swordtail- 3 questions

lilytheqtpie

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I bought a female pineapple swordtail about a month ago and for the past 2 weeks I think she has been pregnant.
1) Is it possible that some days she can look more pregnant than others? 2) Also, I don't see all black in her belly; there is a mix of black and red/pink. Is the red/pink showing through under developed embryos? (That is my theory..) 3) Could being pregnant cause her to pick on others or is that just her personality?

TFA101

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
1) Maybe she's just had too much to eat, that happens with my female platies.

2) If we could get a picture it would help alot, it very well could be.

3) Usually it's just personality, but I've had pregnant fish who got a little moody every now and then.

If there's a males in the tank you purchased her from, or in your current tank, chances are she's lost her virginity by now. Remember, female livebearers can hold sperm in a special pouch in their bodies for months and can give birth without the presence of a male.

BTW

Did I read your tank information wrong or are all the fish you have in a 3 gallon tank?

TFA101

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
right now, I doubt she's pregnant or is in a very early stage in pregnancy, as they usually are much more swollen and the "gravid spot" is much more pronounced. I believe you are right about seeing undeveloped eggs and embryos inside her, that's what my previous swordtails had weeks before spawning

Alessa

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Yes, she does not look pregnant at all, but like TFA said, she might have sperm stored in her body so watch out for that!

New Threads