Pine wood used as drift wood?

VDUBLOVE

My gf and I were walking and came upon some dry dead pine trees left by the hurricane a long time ago and it is really cool (pics later)
but I keep reading the pine is no good for driftwood in aquariums and that its fine if it is fully dried out for a long time........I just want to be safe

Lucy

HI VDUBLOVE I've been seeing a lot of posts and links lately saying pine is ok if well seasoned.

Personally, I avoid it. Sap and aromas aside it's a soft wood that will break down quicker than hard woods.
How quick? I dunno.

junebug

I agree, soft woods will break down faster in water than hardwoods. It's difficult to know how long that would take and I haven't been able to find any documentation on it. I think there are too many variables to really put a number on how fast it will break down.

That said, before it ever occurred to me that certain types of wood might not be as suitable for a tank as others, I stuck an old pine stump in one of my tanks and liked the look so much I went and found another for a different tank. No ill effects from the wood, though one piece did get thrown out due to a slight superglue incident x.x (I was uncoordinated... big surprise lol)

I expect the stump that's been in the tank for 6 months will eventually start to decay, but so far so good. I'm certain the malaysian driftwood will last longer, though

If you can find it, IMO the two best "locally found" woods for your tank are going to be oak and manzanita. Oak because of the awesome burling and twisty look, and manzanita for its branching.

Both are very hard woods and will last a long time. I have several locally collected pieces in my tanks as well as store bought wood and the pine I mentioned.

VDUBLOVE

so here is the wood that I found.......maybe it is not pine?

Any help IDing it.....I think it is oak

DeathFromNH

if you get a closer picture of the bark and the heart of the stick I might be able to ID it for you as well... but it doesn't appear to be pine but to far away to tell for sure. The pine isn't going to break down fast enough to the point that it isn't worth using I'd say if its pine you could get 4 years or so easy. The sap on the other had will be an issue, it won't be nice towards your fish so mabey even kiln dry it...

DeathFromNH

If its really light as your saying its not oak, oak is a very dense heavy wood

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies
Views
MacZ
  • Question
Replies
Views
awilkinson871
Replies