PIMAFIX

chickadee

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I do not know whether you all have read the post about Pimafix and the fact that one of the active ingredients is CLOVE OIL. In case you have not, I will no longer be recommending Pimafix for treating ANYTHING.

You may all do as you wish on the matter but it is my feeling that since clove oil is used to euthanize or at the least anesthetize fish and the manufacturer is not given to state what the percentage of the medication is clove oil, I feel that giving a dose of this for 7 days before beginning to dilute it and then possibly starting the dosages again with nothing but a 25% water change means that the level of the clove oil is constantly being raised in your tank. You may be giving your fish more than he can handle and in effect be either causing him to be constantly "dopey" or possibly if you treat long enough actually use enough to euthanize some small fish. I have noted reactions in my fish when they have been on it, of lethargy and unsteady behavior so I can easily believe that it affects the fish very quickly. Since it is also a companion medication with MELAFIX, I know that some of you have probably discontinued its use already. This information is being posted for those of you who did not and would want to know the information peculiar to this medication alone. As I have said the use or nonuse of either of these medications does remain the option of the fish owners on an individual basis.

Rose

gammerus

Well Known
Reaction score
I can't imagine it is bad unless you overdose. Nearly every medication we take is fatal if you overdose, why should fish be different.

OP
chickadee

chickadee

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
As I said, it is the choice of each fish owner as to whether they continue to use this product on their fish. I simply supplied the information. I will no longer be recommending this product for use on any fish for any cause.

Rose

Eskielvr

Reaction score
I think the point was how much is too much? Rose said it didn't say how much Clove oil is used, so how do you know how much you're giving or how much is lethal? I think that's the point she's trying to make.

OP
chickadee

chickadee

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Also this is one of those medications that says to give a full dose for 7 days before changing any of the water. Clove Oil does not evaporate which means that every bit of it stays in the tank. Even for days after I used the carbon in the tank to remove it, I could smell it. My fish were doped up and lethargic and eventually I lost Marty.

Rose

Eskielvr

Reaction score
I looked at the ingredients and it didn't mention anything about Clove oil being the main ingredient. It says the main ingredient is "Pimenta racemosa", which is West Indian Bay Tree, or, Bay Rum. It says Clove is a related species, but Clove is a different species, "Syzygium aromaticum". Here's a link

0morrokh

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Oh that's good to know. Perhaps what you smelled Rose was the bay rum and it just smelled like clove oil?

OP
chickadee

chickadee

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
No the information I was given didn't say it was the main ingredient either but that it was an ingredient and the company would not give the amount used. I am simply not recommending its use as it does contain some of the clove oil. I do not believe I ever said that the main ingredient was Clove Oil. I will not recommend it for any purpose but those fish owners who wish to take their chances with it can. The clove oil in any amount is too much for me.

It is now and remains always the individuals choice as to whether they want to use the product on their own fish, but you will never get me to recommend it.

Rose

0morrokh

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Oh I see... strange they wouldn't give you the amount...

Fishface

Reaction score
I would just like to say that maybe these medicines aren't so bad all fo the time. I have oe female betta in a one gallon critter keeper quaranine set up with salt, pimafix, and melafix for a fungal infection and I put a few drops fo each - inexactly measured - and while she does seem sluggish, it *is* dark in her tank and there isn't any water circulation or much room to move.

Just another situation for the population's education via my own observation, haha

Ashley

Butterfly

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
fishface I have to say that isn't the best set up for your betta. She needs more room as well as filtration. Hope she gets to feeling better.
Carol

Fishface

Reaction score
Butterfly said:
fishface I have to say that isn't the best set up for your betta. She needs more room as well as filtration. Hope she gets to feeling better.
Carol
Ok, I am totally open to better ideas! and now I feel awful, too, because looking at her, I have to agree
since its 11pm and people are sleeping nearby, I did a small water change using my regular, warmer tank water as the "fresh" subsitute, and then I put the critter keeper IN the bigger tank (it floats and stays upright well because I have devised it so, so at least she'll stay at 80 degrees with some meds. ill put her in a bona fide 5 gallon quarantine set up tomorrow with more exactly measured meds tomorrow. does that cover everything? thanks!

ashley

Butterfly

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Yep sounds much better, will the bigger tank have filtration of some kind on it?
Carol

Fishface

Reaction score
Yes, both my main tank and quarantine tank have filtration, even if it is your cheaper Top Fin type thing.

I should mention that she died, though, and I believe it was the melafix.

OP
chickadee

chickadee

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I am very sorry for your loss. :'(

Rose
:'(

PrayforMojo

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
if you have had a sore tooth you know what clove oil can do I would not use based on personal experience and now I have some facts to back it up. Thank you for mentioning that a lot of people buy products without questions and that can be dangerous.

uprightandlocked

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
I am currently treating one of my female molly's, Doug (don't ask ... lol) with both Pimafix and Melafix for what seems to be Ich. These medications were recommended to me by my LFS. My hospital tank is a 2.5g tank and the LFS said to estimate the amount based on 1/4 of what would go in a 10 gallon tank (which is 1 tablespoon). I have been eyeballing the dosage for three days now. I suppose this explains why my little girl is very inactive, is not eating, and mostly just lies around all day (which is VERY unlike her). What should I do?

Gargoyle

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Increase aeration if you can...

From what I have seen the primary problem with these meds is the fact that they increase the surface tension of the water while in use. This is effect makes it very hard for the betta the breathe which is a bad thing..

If you want to remove the meds from the water get some chemical filtration going full force as soon as you can to get rid of them. Aeration will greatly help though as it will keep the meds circulating and break the surface tension a bit so your betta may breathe easier.

It's the best I have for you right now... Many if not all of the Betta lovers on this site will tell you not to use the meds and immediately remove the meds from the tank or the fish from the tank whichever is easiest and fastest.

PrayforMojo

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
are there any links supporting this info about clove oil. the pimafix I am holding right now says it has bay rum plant extract in it exclusivly. or known as Pimenta racemosa. please look into this I googled the latin name. Also clove oil has been known to have antibacterial and antifungfal qualities for centuries, with nothing coming up when I crossed referenced clove oil with deaths. comments would be appreciated.
mojo

Gargoyle

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
All I know is that when I used it all my fish were fine... And still are... That's all I know.. ;D

New Threads

Follow FishLore!

FishLore on Social Media

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Aquarium Photo Contests

Aquarium Calculator

Top Bottom