Pimafix Killing My Fish?

Discussion in 'More Freshwater Aquarium Topics' started by alynavi, Apr 22, 2019.

1. alynaviNew MemberMember

Last Tuesday I found a fungus-looking white patch on one of my platies’ backs, and so I went and bought Pimafix and started treatment that day. By Sunday (yesterday), 2 of my guppies and one of my cory catfish have died suddenly over the weekend, AND the platy, who’s patch seemed to be slowly going away around 4 days into treatment (had him in a separation container since I found the fungus). The Pimafix says to add 5ml/10 gallons once a day for 7 days, and then a 25% water change after the 7th day. Well screw that I stopped after Saturday when my fish started dying and did a 50% water change, washed all the decorations thoroughly with hot water and vacuumed as much of the gravel as I could manage. My test kit will only be arriving in the mail presumably tomorrow so I don’t have parameter measurement but my Ph is good and my ammonia reads as ‘Safe’ on my Seachem Ammonia Alert at least. Did the Pimafix cause this massacre? Has anyone else had problems with it? This was the first time I ever used it.

2. AquaticJFishlore VIPMember

It’s probably the illness killing your fish because those natural cures don’t really work.

3. AvalancheDaveWell Known MemberMember

Melafix, Pimafix, and Algaefix have all been implicated for fish deaths. Melafix and Pimafix aren't very effective at treating anything while often killing fish.

4. alynaviNew MemberMember

Is Pimafix considered a natural cure? They all suddenly displayed symptoms of swim bladder after a few days into the treatment too, besides the cory, he just fell to his side suddenly, and died about an hour later :( Only the one platy had apparent fungus though.

5. alynaviNew MemberMember

Do you have a recommendation for what I should use next time?

6. AvalancheDaveWell Known MemberMember

Malachite green for fungus. Antibiotics if it's actually Columnaris.

7. alynaviNew MemberMember

Thanks!