Pimafix In Tank With Bristlenose Longfin - Safe?

Discussion in 'Pleco - Plecostomus' started by AngelSwords, Apr 19, 2017.

1. AngelSwordsNew MemberMember

My quarantine tank is currently in use. I have no spare systems at this time. I noticed recently one of my newer angelfish (had her 30 days now) has gone ill with what appears to be a fungal infection all around her face. Large white spots that are puffed up a little, but not cottony. She still is acting normal.
    I have my green dragon Bristlenose Longfin plecos in the same tank. I've also never used API pimafix before either. Will the plecos be safe if I medicate the tank with pimafix for the angelfish?

2. AvalancheDave

AvalancheDaveWell Known MemberMember

Definitely not safe.

You need to narrow down the diagnosis and then pick a safer, more effective treatment.

See if it looks like Columnaris or Saprolegnia pictures online.

3. TexasDomer

TexasDomerFishlore LegendMember

Pimafix is useless and won't treat anything serious. It's not worth bothering with.

4. MattS99

MattS99Well Known MemberMember

Pimafix is a waste of time and money. Totally agree.

5. APierce

APierceWell Known MemberMember

I'm pretty sure one of them has clove oil in it...or something very similar, you use clove oil to euthanize fish. The stuff is a waste of money, unless you can't find clove oil :(

6. TexasDomer

Which one has clove oil? They have other oils, but they're not used to euthanize fish.

Please don't use Pimafix or Melafix to euthanize fish.

7. APierce

APierceWell Known MemberMember

Pimafix has clove oil in it, and it smells like clove oil. It euthanized a swordtail I was trying to treat instead of helping it. When I had to actually knowingly euthanized a fish, using actual clove oil, I noticed that it smelled like the Pimafix.

8. MattS99

Don't know about you guys but I actually find Melafix decently effective.

9. MattS99

As opposed to Pimafix, at least. For treatment, not to euthanize of course. I have the gift of not explaining what I mean too well. :)

10. TwoHedWlf

TwoHedWlfWell Known MemberMember

Or to simply anesthatize them. Its only deadly when overdosed.

11. TexasDomer

According to the MSDS sheet, I only found that it contains bay oil, no clove oil. Just because it smells like something doesn't mean that's what's in it. You can kill your fish with things other than clove oil, if dosed high enough.

Unfortunately, API seems to make finding the ingredients on some of their products difficult. I only skimmed the sheet, so I may have missed something though.

12. TwoHedWlf

Both are sources of eugenol, the anaesthetic ingredient.

13. TexasDomer

Thanks for that! So another reason not to use Pimafix - if you accidentally overdose it, you can kill your fish.

14. TwoHedWlf

Not sure that's a logical conclusion.
    Another reason not to use fish food - if you accidentally overdose it, you can kill your fish.
    Another reason not to use air pumps - if accidentally overdose air, you can kill your fish.
    Another reason not to use rocks - if you accidentally overdose it, you can crush your fish.

:)

15. TexasDomer

Yeah, that statement was more of a joke. Thanks for taking it literally ;)

I wouldn't ever use it anyway.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice