PIMAFIX and Clove Oil

chickadee

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I have been in communication with the person who wrote the information on the Melafix and so alerted us to the issue on using it with Labyrinth fishes.

While we were discussing things, we spoke of Pimafix and talked about how it contains CLOVE OIL.  Since Clove Oil is used in higher concentrations to euthanize fish, I am wondering if perhaps using the medication for 7 full days before doing a water change isn't perhaps giving your fish a bit of a lot of a dangerous medication.  Since I do not know exactly how much of the medication (percentage) is clove oil, I cannot tell you how much you are in effect giving your fish in each dose; but I do know that if you give it 7 times before you start to dilute it out of your tank, it is no wonder that the fish begin to act doped up.  They are being at the very least anesthetized.  Since some of you that use this are using it on community tanks, you have fish of all sizes in there and some may be getting a lot more than they can handle.  Even if you use it in a small quarantine tank, it would be very important to use EXACT dosages and how many of us know exactly how much water is in our tank.  While I was under the impression that we were dealing with some fairly harmless herbal medications, now I am wondering if these two medications are not fairly serious to use.

You may use this as you see fit, but I wanted you to have the information.

Rose

Isabella

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Thank you Rose for letting us know about it. Now that I know about Pimafix and Melafix, I'd never use any of these. I don't know if really any fish medication out there is safe anymore. I think I've heard that even some medication by Mardel Labs (CopperSafe, Maracide, or the Maracyns - not sure which one) has some carcinogenic (to humans!) substances in it. Moreover, some plant fertilizer by Seachem (I think "Flourish" - but, again, not 100% sure) also carries carcinogens.

ScarfaceShaz

Valued Member
Reaction score
I noticed that my r.t.b shark had a white grey patch on the side of it, near the rear tail fin. Also i had purchased a neon tetra with a lump on its back. instead of returning it, i decided to treat it as well as the shark. The guy at l.f.s. sujjested Pimafix, as it treated at fungal infections. Its been two days. everything is ok so far, however i do noyice that as soon as i have added it, two out my three platys lay at the bottom of my tank with their fins closed and seem doped up...

ScarfaceShaz

Valued Member
Reaction score
I came across this very interesting point !?

soldieroffortune1974

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Pimafix's active ingredients are Pimenta racemosa and Clove oil. Neither 1 is an anti-bacterial or anti-fungal that the medication is sold as.Both are used in anesthesia of animals. The reason these ingredients kill some bacteria and fungus is because it inhibits the bacterias ability to do anything,essentially putting the bacteria to sleep,but NOT killing it off.

The ingredients are not killing bacteria,the other measurements for disease prevention is. i.e.) raising temp,adding salt,increased oxygen,etc.<--- These conditions can also cause other bacteria/fungus to grow exponentially,while killing other types............That's why the makers of this medicine don't do a lot of research on what it does and does not 'kill' because the results that have been found by other labs prove it isn't doing what it's marketed for. (as stated in the article link provided by ScarfaceShaz above) API isn't going to research their own product and prove it's own ineffectiveness.

I will repeat that PIMAFIX IS NOT AN ANTI-BACTERIAL/ANTI-FUNGAL

I will also say,please don't give bad rep points for someone trying to correct an often misunderstood concept.Thousands of studies in laboratories have been done to confirm ANY and ALL info I have presented on meds.

The reason for using an anesthetic in meds is to reduce the stress of the fish/animal while treating for disease. (that's the argument anyway)

I know this is an older post,but I thought I could contribute a little more helpful info.

Butterfly

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Good points SOF
carol

fishlover78

Well Known Member
Reaction score
applause for SOF, he said it all. -fishlover78

mealworm

Reaction score
Thank SOF, actually my fish skin wounded and effected kind of fungus and bacteria. The body look grey in patch. Actually later i plan to buy MelaFix and PimaFix but after reading this i will hold on and study some other product first. My side here very limit of branded medication, here only got API,Mardel,Prime,Kent and some local product that not trusted.

dendovne

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
i am just curious if anyone can provide a link that tells you pimafix has clove oil in or not because in the MSDS Sheet, it does not contain anything about clove oil in it, and to be honest with you, I do know enough to trust MSDS Sheets seeing I am a construction worker and work with a lot of different kinds of materials and chemicals... So please provide me a link to show me that it contains clove oil otherwise it is all hearsay, he said...she said drama.

Shawnie

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
dendovne said:
i am just curious if anyone can provide a link that tells you pimafix has clove oil in or not because in the MSDS Sheet, it does not contain anything about clove oil in it, and to be honest with you, I do know enough to trust MSDS Sheets seeing I am a construction worker and work with a lot of different kinds of materials and chemicals... So please provide me a link to show me that it contains clove oil otherwise it is all hearsay, he said...she said drama.
well now welcome to fishlore! LOL

im not sure about the drama part of your comment, I think members just try to do the best they can and give the information as they get it from others experiences and such .....I do know rose has many many years of betta experience as well as other fish ...(a great source of knowledge IMO )

from what ive read pimafix 1.0% Pimenta racemosa (Bay or Bay Rum oil) ...
melafix 1.0% Melaleuca (Cajeput or 'Tea Tree' Oil)...

either way, in labyrinth fish, I can't imagine the oils are good for them and have read in many cases that they are not....as far as clove oil, I havent seen that unless one of the top oils in them both, are re worded...im no chemist either but I think the use of either is something each will decide and hopefully do their homework prior to doing any meds

lew2000

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Below is a thread that sirdarksol started on May 23rd about Melafix and the effect of Tea Tree Oil (Melaleuca Tree sp.) (Cajeput) on Bettas, but seems to apply to all labyrinthal fish. The consensus from reading this post and other web sites is that it is believed this specific oil coats this organ and slowly suffocates this type of fish - especially given that they are already stressed from disease.

Lucy

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
A lot of what I've read has to do with dosage but I won't take a chance on pimafix or melafix, not when there's so much controversy and other things available that we know are safe.

Robin4

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Oh, goodness... I need help! Two of my Danios have cotton like spots on them (not salt like spots - Ich) I've tried both Melafix and I'm trying Pimafix now. The spots showed up at different times. The fish w/spots on his fin was first. I tried to treat it w/both and it is still there. This was months ago. Now the spot on the other fish (the lip) is being treated by Pimafix. Lord, am I poisoning them? They are all acting fine and eating fine....

What other medicine is out there for fungus??

Thank you!
Robin

Lucy

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Robin4 said:
Oh, goodness... I need help! Two of my Danios have cotton like spots on them (not salt like spots - Ich) I've tried both Melafix and I'm trying Pimafix now. The spots showed up at different times. The fish w/spots on his fin was first. I tried to treat it w/both and it is still there. This was months ago. Now the spot on the other fish (the lip) is being treated by Pimafix. Lord, am I poisoning them? They are all acting fine and eating fine....

What other medicine is out there for fungus??

Thank you!
Robin
Hi Robin. The caution only pertains to labyrinth fish (bettas, gouramis ect)
Your Danios are not in danger from pimafix or melafix.
I hope they get better soon.

Robin4

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
They are in danger??? So what do I need to use in place of pimafix and melafix??

Thanks...

sirdarksol

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Lucy said:
Hi Robin. The caution only pertains to labyrinth fish (bettas, gouramis ect)
Your Danios are in danger from pimafix or melafix.

I hope they get better soon.
Do you mean "are in no danger"?
Or are danios labyrinth fish? (If so, there's my "something new" today ;D)

Lucy

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Oh Crumb.....that's exactly what I meant.
Thanks for the catch!

Edited my post so no one misunderstands!

Robin, I'm so sorry for worrying you.

Robin4

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Whew - thanks... but how is it that the ingredients in there that are used for euthanasia would not harm the Danios??

sirdarksol - what is your something new?

sirdarksol

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
If danios had been labyrinth fish, I would have learned something new for the day.
As they aren't, I have to find something else new to learn.

Lucy

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Robin4 said:
sirdarksol - what is your something new?
He's teasing my typo. lol

Toggle Sidebar

New Threads