Piggy Betta fish!

1. gloaming Initiate Member

Hi, there! I have a question about feeding my fish. I have a Betta and two cory catfish in a five-gallon Fluval Chi. The fish are active and seem to get along well, but the Betta keeps stealing all the food. I try to feed them on different sides of the tank, but as soon as Norman (my Betta) sees the cory pellets sinking, he darts after them. The little catfish don't even get a chance to nibble on their pellets.

My two concerns are that Norman is getting way too much food, and the catfish aren't getting enough. Is there any way around this?

Thanks in advance!

(OK, now I'm not sure if I'm posting in the right place. I'm a total aquarium newbie, but this is a water questions. Please forgive me if I should have posted elsewhere!)

2. FallenOwl Well Known Member Member

You should not have Cory catfish in a 5g tank, they require a lot of 'exploring room' (20g+)

3. gloaming Initiate Member

Oh, no! I shouldn't have listened to the lady at the big box pet store. She swore up and down they'd be fine with five gallons. Looks like a new tank is in order for them. :-(

4. FallenOwl Well Known Member Member

Always do your research on fish Before you get them ;) Pet store associates usually know next to nothing about the fish they are selling you

5. gloaming Initiate Member

Thank you, I will remember that!

6. Taffymieh Member Member

You could try presoaking the cory pellets in some aquarium water and then distributing them directly onto the bottom of the tank, preferably somewhere out of sight, via a turkey baster while distracting Norman with food on the other side. That way he won't get the chance to see the pellets sinking. This method works for feeding my frogs. It's really the only idea I've got, hope it helps!

7. Aquaphobia Fishlore Legend Member

Since we're on the subject, you'll also need more of them because they feel more secure in groups;)

Anyway, try the turkey baster method to get food down to the cories. Bettas do love to eat!