Pictus Strange behavior

Amaracalle
Is it normal for them to slightly lean against the rock their under so it’s laying on its side?

FinalFins
Hi, what fish are you talking about?

TWiG87
If you’re talking about a fish laying on its side, that is not normal

Amaracalle
FinalFins said:
Hi, what fish are you talking about?
A small catfish from a tank I am moving to my house, after moving all the Giant cichlids that where harassing him I decided to leave him be as he started swimming around eating Algea so I decided to leave him but tonight the lady with the tank said he is acting weird and sent me a video
IMG_2788.jpg

Tez
Amaracalle said:
Is it normal for them to slightly lean against the rock their under so it’s laying on its side?
Why is my fish leaning?
If your fish is leaning to one or other side, then it is suffering from some other diseases and not the swim bladder disorder. The common symptoms that a fish will show when suffering from swim bladder problems are: Loss of balance. Not being able to maintain buoyancy.

Amaracalle
Tez said:
Why is my fish leaning?
If your fish is leaning to one or other side, then it is suffering from some other diseases and not the swim bladder disorder. The common symptoms that a fish will show when suffering from swim bladder problems are: Loss of balance. Not being able to maintain buoyancy.
Is that for catfish also?

Tez
Amaracalle said:
No that was for the strange behaviour because when I pressed reply you added yours

Amaracalle said:
This is for catfish (Discus)

Leaning to One Side. Leaning to one side or another, tilting sideways, and laying flat is a common and very general symptom in a sick or stressed discus fish. This behavior usually happens at the dark corners of the aquarium, near the surface, or at the bottom of the tank.

Amaracalle
Tez said:
This is for catfish (Discus)

Leaning to One Side. Leaning to one side or another, tilting sideways, and laying flat is a common and very general symptom in a sick or stressed discus fish. This behavior usually happens at the dark corners of the aquarium, near the surface, or at the bottom of the tank.
This is prob a vague question. How do I handle this? How do I figure out what’s wrong? This is my first time handling catfish myself. I don’t have a previous experience to base normal vs sick.

jinjerJOSH22
It's hard to say if this is "strange" behavior because Catfish are strange in themselves but for a Catfish to be doing this looks normal to me, depending on the species.

Tez
Amaracalle said:
This is prob a vague question. How do I handle this? How do I figure out what’s wrong? This is my first time handling catfish myself. I don’t have a previous experience to base normal vs sick.
Well i've not experience really but quite a few members do have them so I am sorry but I did find this info if it will help.

Amaracalle
jinjerJOSH22 said:
It's hard to say if this is "strange" behavior because Catfish are strange in themselves but for a Catfish to be doing this looks normal to me, depending on the species.
He apparently swims around very rarely and then tilts on his side a bit, is that normal. He’s eaten A LOT of Algea since the tank was swarming with it and now he’s the only one in the 55 could he had eaten to much?

jinjerJOSH22
Again it really depends on the species, a lot are naturally reclusive. Can you post a video of it?
Feohw

Tez
Amaracalle said:
He apparently swims around very rarely and then tilts on his side a bit, is that normal. He’s eaten A LOT of Algea since the tank was swarming with it and now he’s the only one in the 55 could he had eaten to much?
Your need more members on this with more experience and as you can see jinjerJOSH22 is calling members in

jinjerJOSH22 said:
Again it really depends on the species, a lot are naturally reclusive. Can you post a video of it?
Feohw
What about Corycatz and Corydork

jinjerJOSH22
Tez said:
Your need more members on this with more experience and as you can see jinjerJOSH22 is calling members in

What about Corycatz and Corydork
I know Feohw is into more unusual Catfish
A201 may also be of help

Feohw
Pictus cats will lie under decor (upside down, on their side etc), especially when they are alone. They can be a very active fish that can annoy slower moving fish, but they enjoy company. When kept alone they can be more reclusive and they will try to hide. It just looks like that's what he's doing in that picture to me.

You also mentioned that you just got these guys from someone else? That would add to the stress it feels, though usually that clears up in a few days. Personally I'd say this is due to stress, though a vid of it swimming and a clear pic of the fish could help. Water parameters too if you can get them. A201 may have better insight though.

jinjerJOSH22
Feohw said:
Pictus cats will lie under decor (upside down, on their side etc), especially when they are alone. They can be a very active fish that can annoy slower moving fish, but they enjoy company. When kept alone they can be more reclusive and they will try to hide. It just looks like that's what he's doing in that picture to me.

You also mentioned that you just got these guys from someone else? That would add to the stress it feels, though usually that clears up in a few days. Personally I'd say this is due to stress, though a vid of it swimming and a clear pic of the fish could help. Water parameters too if you can get them. A201 may have better insight though.
It doesn't look like a Pictus to me at least the Barbels don't? Looks like a Syno of some kind.

Feohw
jinjerJOSH22 said:
It doesn't look like a Pictus to me at least the Barbels don't? Looks like a Syno of some kind.
Ah, you are correct. I just looked at the forum this was posted under The single specimen thing can still play a factor in thembeing reclusive. And a catfish will lie on its side to hide under decor ime. I'm interested to see a vid of it swimming though. I'd also like to see which species it is. From the little I can see it doesn't look too out of the ordinary.

A201
It's just a guessing game trying to diagnosis why a fish exhibits erratic swimming behavior.
It's either injury, an intestinal infection of some sort, Bloat, gulping too much surface air, ect.
In most cases I would interpret the leaning symptom to be an indicator that something just ain't right. "But"
I've kept plenty of healthy catfish that have assumed positions of all angles while resting, feeding & swimming. As long as the catfish is eating and otherwise acting normally, likely no worries.

Amaracalle
If I could figure out how to post a video I would. I haven’t moved him out of the tank yet as he was really bullied and seized up on and forced into a corner or he was picked at. so after Every one was taken out he started swimming around eating the Algea I figured he would enjoy the freedom. The entire tank was a catastrophic mess of mixed cichlids and the former owner left it to the new home owner who didn’t know how to care for it so now I have it and I’m trying to figure out each fish and how to help them sinse the tank was just unlivable from the first owners neglect, so condition wise assume the worse as the new home lady I’m getting the tank unformed me their was three tanks full of dead rotting fish left in the house so obviously the First Lady didn’t care

At this point any ideas and or suggestions to help this lil guy would be appreciated, time and money is something I’m will to spend to keep this guy from dying

jinjerJOSH22
Amaracalle said:
If I could figure out how to post a video I would. I haven’t moved him out of the tank yet as he was really bullied and seized up on and forced into a corner or he was picked at. so after Every one was taken out he started swimming around eating the Algea I figured he would enjoy the freedom. The entire tank was a catastrophic mess of mixed cichlids and the former owner left it to the new home owner who didn’t know how to care for it so now I have it and I’m trying to figure out each fish and how to help them sinse the tank was just unlivable from the first owners neglect, so condition wise assume the worse as the new home lady I’m getting the tank unformed me their was three tanks full of dead rotting fish left in the house so obviously the First Lady didn’t care
The best way is to post to Youtube then link the video here

Amaracalle
jinjerJOSH22 said:
The best way is to post to Youtube then link the video here
thank you for the info!

jinjerJOSH22
It's really hard to say, the best medicine when you're unsure is water changes
I really wish I could help more
Getting more footage of it out and about will help identify what species and if it would do better with company.

Amaracalle
jinjerJOSH22 said:
I really wish I could help more
Getting more footage of it out and about will help identify what species and if it would do better with company.
I asked the lady with the tank to try and get a video of him out which he seems to do when he sees some one. I did do a small water change when I first started getting the fish ready to be moved, I panic tho when she told me he was acting weird becuz I don’t know catfish well so I was trying to find some more experienced Opinions

Tez
jinjerJOSH22 said:
If you look at the video it's like he's struggling to move in my opinion although I could be wrong.

Amaracalle
Feohw said:
Ah, you are correct. I just looked at the forum this was posted under The single specimen thing can still play a factor in thembeing reclusive. And a catfish will lie on its side to hide under decor ime. I'm interested to see a vid of it swimming though. I'd also like to see which species it is. From the little I can see it doesn't look too out of the ordinary.
finally caught him swimming

Tez said:
If you look at the video it's like he's struggling to move in my opinion although I could be wrong.

Tez
Amaracalle said:
finally caught him swimming
Smashing colour and in body he looks really healthy...this is a post for knowledge

Amaracalle
Tez said:
Smashing colour and in body he looks really healthy.
Any idea of what kind he is by chance?

Tez
Amaracalle said:
Any idea of what kind he is by chance?
I won't but other members will who have entered your post with a lot more knowledge of them sorry...stunning colours though.

Feohw
Beautiful fish. Looks like a Synodontis decorus to me, though the tail pattern isn't the same. I had one of these guys stab me in the hand once. They squeak too. He looks pretty healthy to me. Just looks like he's resting on his side when he's under the decor as he doesn't have too much room to me.

Tez
Feohw said:
Beautiful fish. Looks like a Synodontis decorus to me, though the tail pattern isn't the same. I had one of these guys stab me in the hand once. They squeak too. He looks pretty healthy to me. Just looks like he's resting on his side when he's under the decor as he doesn't have too much room to me.
what about a Ocellated Synodontis

Amaracalle
Feohw said:
He’s in a 55 gallon alone, is he needing more space?

Tez
Amaracalle said:
No he's got plenty of room

jinjerJOSH22
Amaracalle said:
I think he meant larger caves

Amaracalle
jinjerJOSH22 said:
I think he meant larger caves
Oh do they like caves? Like what kind?

jinjerJOSH22
Amaracalle said:
Oh do they like caves? Like what kind?
Catfish love spaces to hide, they'll stick themselves any which way which you've seen. Try to create a dark cave with whatever you can rock/wood with a bit of space.

Amaracalle
jinjerJOSH22 said:
Catfish love spaces to hide, they'll stick themselves any which way which you've seen. Try to create a dark cave with whatever you can rock/wood with a bit of space.
Ok becuz I’m not gonna put them back with any of the cichlids tanks, could I put them in one of my betta tanks? I have a lot of passive bettas I’ve temporarily put other fish with them in emergency situations and they don’t care at all but could they live happily with one if the betta doesn’t mind?

jinjerJOSH22
Amaracalle said:
Ok becuz I’m not gonna put them back with any of the cichlids tanks, could I put them in one of my betta tanks? I have a lot of passive bettas I’ve temporarily put other fish with them in emergency situations and they don’t care at all but could they live happily with one if the betta doesn’t mind?
as long as the tank is big enough it should be ok

Amaracalle
jinjerJOSH22 said:
as long as the tank is big enough it should be ok
I keep my male bettas typically in five gallon tanks unless the need otherwise would that be to small?

jinjerJOSH22
Amaracalle said:
I keep my male bettas typically in five gallon tanks unless the need otherwise would that be to small?
It's too small unfortunately, even the smaller Synos need around 30 gallons but if this is a Decorus like Feohw suggested, they can reach 12" and will ne a 48" aquarium at the minimum.

Amaracalle
jinjerJOSH22 said:
It's too small unfortunately, even the smaller Synos need around 30 gallons but if this is a Decorus like Feohw suggested, they can reach 12" and will ne a 48" aquarium at the minimum.
Could I keep him in one for a lil while like till April you think? Then he can have my 30 gal goldfish tank as they will be in their pond then.

jinjerJOSH22
Amaracalle said:
Could I keep him in one for a lil while like till April you think? Then he can have my 30 gal goldfish tank as they will be in their pond then.
It seems really small for him, you'd be a better judge seeing him in person and how active it is.
I don't think it would be a good idea, if you said a "few days to a week" i'd say sure but April is over a month away.

Amaracalle
jinjerJOSH22 said:
It seems really small for him, you'd be a better judge seeing him in person and how active it is.
I don't think it would be a good idea, if you said a "few days to a week" i'd say sure but April is over a month away.
He’s about 2.5 inches which is why I don’t want him in with the big cichlids

Feohw
I think it may actually be a hybrid Syno. Possibly a Synodontis sp. valentiana, which is believed to be a hybrid between S. decorus and S. multipunctatus. It certainly has the larger spots of a decorus with the tail pattern of a multi. Either way, its not a great idea to house it in a 5 gallon, even at 2.5 inches. And this guy is going to get big if this is what he is.

Amaracalle
Feohw said:
I think it may actually be a hybrid Syno. Possibly a Synodontis sp. valentiana, which is believed to be a hybrid between S. decorus and S. multipunctatus. It certainly has the larger spots of a decorus with the tail pattern of a multi. Either way, its not a great idea to house it in a 5 gallon, even at 2.5 inches. And this guy is going to get big if this is what he is.
Could he go In one of my betta sorority tanks by chance? Those are rather big

Latest threads

Aquarium Calculator

Aquarium Photo Contests

Find a Guru

Top Bottom