Pictus Gravel Problems?

Keicola46
So I am guilty of not doing any research on these fish before I bought them. Kinda just an impulse buy. Once I had already brought it home is when I decided it would be a good time for the instruction manual. Anyways I foresee a possible problem. Maybe I am wrong and really hope I am. My concern is the gravel I have is to large for him/her to get the food out from between it. My rainbow shark and Cory have no problems idt with their small mouths. But I'm not sure about this guy and I just got him so I have yet to see if he can eat. I attached a picture so you can see what I mean. Lil guy is hiding in the back, but u can see what I'm saying with the gravel. What do you think? Any personal experience with this? Is it an issue at all? Thanks for you input I'm loving this fourm btw!!
1531155078131.jpg

Demeter
Pictus catfish easily reach a good 5in+ as adults. For any bottom feeder I would have sand substrate, especially for corydoras. A rough substrate like you have right now may injure soft underbellies and barbles of the catfish.

I'd also like to point out that corydoras and pictus cats are schooling species, both requiring a proper school to feel comfortable. If your pictus is in anything smaller than a 55gal tank, you won't be able to house a proper school for it.

Keicola46
Demeter said:
Pictus catfish easily reach a good 5in+ as adults. For any bottom feeder I would have sand substrate, especially for corydoras. A rough substrate like you have right now may injure soft underbellies and barbles of the catfish.

I'd also like to point out that corydoras and pictus cats are schooling species, both requiring a proper school to feel comfortable. If your pictus is in anything smaller than a 55gal tank, you won't be able to house a proper school for it.
I knew someone was gonna tell me that. Yes we are getting more pepper Cory's we just took the last one they had so it might be a couple days. As far as the pictus I saw that too but also there ok to be alone as well especially since he's in a 30 gallon but as they grow they can be territorial so it's either a school, or just one. The only real downside is that they might not be as active if there's just one. I do plan on getting a much much bigger tank soon. Like 100+ gallons. Or I may get something even bigger and do saltwater (always loved saltwater and I finally make good enough money to afford it) and do what you suggested get at least a 55. Within the next few months all them will be in a bigger tank regardless. I have a rainbow shark in there to. Anyways, ONLY for the next absolute longest 4 months, do you think he can make do with that gravel? Can he get the food you think? If I absolutely have to I will change the gravel but it's such a waste because this tank was only meant to be a starter and not a keeper. I just had this tank when I moved in here and I wanted something for now while I do my extensive research on all the equipment and fish I want to do in the large tank. Thank you btw for ur advice!!!

Demeter
I don't think it will have too much of a problem getting food. You can try placing the food in a ceramic or glass plate and making it flush with the gravel, might make it easier on everyone to find the food. Glad to hear you are upgrading soon. Keep in mind that the pictus will eat smaller fish species when its older.

Keicola46
Demeter said:
I don't think it will have too much of a problem getting food. You can try placing the food in a ceramic or glass plate and making it flush with the gravel, might make it easier on everyone to find the food. Glad to hear you are upgrading soon. Keep in mind that the pictus will eat smaller fish species when its older.
Thank you that makes me feel little better. I really want to be able to know he's getting enough food with that large gravel. I don't have any fish as small as a guppy or a neon tetra so that's good. Only problem with the dish tho this is once my fat ass fish eat everything on the surface they start picking in the gravel and eating all the others foods. So I think a dish would just make it easier for them to steal it faster and over eat before my cats and shark get em. As long as you think he can suck some of the food out between that the others don't get. The Cory and shark have small mouths and they don't seem to have much issue there but my new buddy's mouth is huge so that's what worried me. At night once the lights go out I'm gonna drop a few pellets in there so hopefully they can get those. All my bottom feeders are more active at night. Ok so then.. should be good for now. Thank you for your advice and help I appreciate taking the time to do that for me.

Random Great Thread

Latest threads

Top Bottom