Pictus Catfish

Christina34
Member
This is my first time with this type of cat. Hes staying pretty much at the top of the tank swimming in one corner. He is new to the tank today and I'm not sure if this is a sign of distress or maybe hes just stressed out.

The only reason I could think he would hang at the surface is a lack of oxygen but I'm running two air stones and the tank is heavily planted.
 
CaptainAquatics
Member
Christina34 said:
This is my first time with this type of cat. Hes staying pretty much at the top of the tank swimming in one corner. He is new to the tank today and I'm not sure if this is a sign of distress or maybe hes just stressed out.

The only reason I could think he would hang at the surface is a lack of oxygen but I'm running two air stones and the tank is heavily planted.
Probably just stressed. I have two pictus and they NEVER go to the surface so if that continues let me know.
 
Jellibeen
Member
How big is the tank?
 
CaptainAquatics
Member
Jellibeen said:
How big is the tank?
Pictus do need a minimum of at LEAST 55 gallons, so if it is to small of a tank that might be why. Pictus also like to be in groups, they are like cories.
 
Jellibeen
Member
CaptainAquatics said:
Pictus do need a minimum of at LEAST 55 gallons, so if it is to small of a tank that might be why. Pictus also like to be in groups, they are like cories.
Yes, that's what I was thinking. I remember my zebra loaches glass surfing when I had them in their minimum tank size (29 gallons). I moved them into a 90 gallon and they don't go near the surface.
 
  • Thread Starter
Christina34
Member
CaptainAquatics said:
Probably just stressed. I have two pictus and they NEVER go to the surface so if that continues let me know.
I will, thank you!

Jellibeen said:
How big is the tank?

Jellibeen said:
Yes, that's what I was thinking. I remember my zebra loaches glass surfing when I had them in their minimum tank size (29 gallons). I moved them into a 90 gallon and they don't go near the surface.
My tank is 75 gallons. Maybe he needs a friend.
 
Coptapia
Member
Christina34 said:
My tank is 75 gallons. Maybe he needs a friend.
It needs a group of 6+.
 
  • Thread Starter
Christina34
Member
My husband had two together for 5 years and they were ok? I cannot afford 6. They are over $10 each here.

Coptapia said:
It needs a group of 6+.

Not happening lol. My tank is only 75 gals and I have Raphael catfish as well.
 
Jellibeen
Member
One thing about fish is there is a big difference between doing okay and thriving. Some fish prefer to be alone, but many fish prefer the company of their own kind. It makes them feel safer to be in groups. They aren’t going to die instantly if kept alone but the stress of being alone adds up. I suggest getting a few friends for your catfish.
 

Random Great Thread

Latest threads

Top Bottom