30 Gallon Tank Pictus catfish& what else

Betta_dude

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Long time no see guys, Ive been busy with school and a whole bunch of other stuff so I havent been able to stay up to date with fishlore. Anyway Im back to square one and need some ideas. I was thinking about rapheal catfish but I think we only have striped ones here. So Im going with Pictus instead. I figure I have room for 2-3 of them, but would go well with them?

I was thinking maybe one of the smaller species of SA cichlids, such as fire mouths or a something of similar size/temperment. Im more or less just interested in medium sized species so Im open to suggestions and willing to forgo the pictus cats.

Thanks alot guys.:;broccoli

Nutter

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I wouldn't recommend more than one Pictus in a 30gal. They are pretty territorial towards each other & need thier own little patch to claim as home. I would go with one Pictus in your tank & probably a Bristlenose to go with it. As for centrepiece fish you have lots of options: Firemouth, Keyhole, Port Acara, Jade Eyes (Archocentrus Spilurus), Geophagus Steindachneri, Red Jewel, Festivum, Angelfish or Golden Dwarf Acara (Nannacara Anomala), & that's just some of the cichlids. Some of those you could do as pairs, others as single fish. If your interested in any of those species then recommendations can be made on numbers. You would also have the option of going with something a little smaller like Bolivian Rams & putting a shoaling fish in the tank. You would have to be wary of the shoal fishes size so it didn't get eaten by the Pictus though.

Betta_dude

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Thanks for clearing that up about the pictus. Ive heard alot of contradictive answers about min. tank size and number of fish, ones enought for me. Thats also the other reason I decided against rapheals since they're both bottom dwellers. Im already considering fire mouths and angels but not sure if we have any of the others.

The closest thing to an lfs that stocks freshwater fish around here is Petsmart, but its a pretty nice one. The tanks are clean,waters clear, and rarely any dead fish. They seem to know what they're doing for the most part, too. Unfortunately we mostly just get the popular species that sell well. Any good non-cichlid tank mates, and would smails be ok or would they just end up a snack?

But Just so you know, my tank is actually 38g and is 3ft. long by 1ft. wide and 17in. tall. The prefixes only go by tens, 40g would have been closer but Its better to under stock than over stock.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom