Pictus Catfish Sting Care Guide.

Marxman95
This is my care guide for a Pictus Cat sting, developed with help from a qualified Veterinarian (my Dad) and the internet.

• Immerse the affected area in water as hot as is tolerable as this usually relieves pain from a sting.
  • Spines should be removed with tweezers.
  • The should be scrubbed and irrigated with fresh water.
  • The wound should not be taped or sewn together.
  • Oral are usually recommended for catfish stings that become infected. Antibiotics should be taken if infection develops for at least five days after all signs of infection have resolved. Potential drug should be checked prior to starting any antibiotic. (Never self-medicate, and always ask a doctor before starting any medicine.)
  • Pain associated with a catfish sting may be relieved with one to two ( ) every four hours and/or one to two ( , ) every six to eight hours.
I keep one copy of this guide near my fish tank, and give one to anyone who is going to have to reach into the fish tank.
Extra tips (general first aid): Write down the type of injury, where it is, when it occurred (preferably in 24 hour time), and a description of what stung/bit you. Be as accurate as possible, while keeping it brief. (E.G.: "Catfish sting, right thumb, 15:36:43, Pictus Catfish).
Pictus catfish poison is fairly mild, and you know the type of fish, but it is a good practice for wild animal bits and stings too.
Brief anyone who will be in the vicinity of a poisonous animal on what to do and how to treat a bite/sting, especially if you own that animal.

Shrimpgeek
I didn't know they could sting you. Huh.

Top Bottom