Pictus catfish problems

Fisherman84
Ok so as mentioned in my previous post (the one about fish for the bottom of my tank) I still haven't mad a decision of what bottom feeders to get, I have neon tateas in my tank and I'm planning on getting some endler guppies and I was wondering if getting a pictus catfish was a bad idea to go with them, this is a 29 gallon tank with hiding places, I'm open to suggestions, help.

Advertisement
Tian
Pictus catfish are very active swimmers and needs lots of swimming space.... A 29 gallon is a bit on the small side for them.... I'd recommend 55 gallon minimum for a pictus. Guppies will be a nice meal for them aswell. Mine is enjoying guppies and smaller mollies along with my cichlids as a treat once in a while!

What substrate do you have in the tank?
If you have sand in, a school of corries will be a good addition for bottom feeders. Their is also kuhlI loaches or horse nose loaches you can consider as bottom feeders (also schooling spesies)....

Fisherman84
I have gravel

Advertisement
hampalong
Horsefaced loaches grow quite big and are not very bendy, which means they like a bigger footprint than a 29g.

Pictus need to be in groups, so 55 gallon is about a minimum. They will also eat neons quickly because neons sleep on the bottom.

Corys or kuhlies would work, as long as your gravel isn't sharp. They also need to be in a group (about 6+) of their own species.

Bagpipe empire
I'm not sure. I know channel catfish are good in about anything two times their size or bigger. Catfish are tough animals. I'm not to worried about it.

Tonia
I would suggest cories or Kuhlies. The channel cats get huge and are actually a large river catfish. I had one friend keep a channel catfish in her goldfish pond. He was over a foot long when he jumped one day and they were not home to put him back in the water. NOT a good tank fish even though some pet stores will sell them.

As previously mentioned.. the pictus cat is pretty... and he will thank you for the lovely snack of endlers, neons and guppies.

Bagpipe empire
Well... My channel cats are in a pond I put in my garage. They are awesome to play with. LOL.

Tonia
Well... My channel cats are in a pond I put in my garage. They are awesome to play with. LOL.

Oh they can be amazing, but definitely not the fish for a 29 gallon aquarium

laxdude
a pond in your garage!?!? Next home, no cars-just more fish

Bagpipe empire
Yeah! I catch young or small river fish and raise them to be large. Then release them back to the river. I'm only 13 lol.

Jupiter Jack
Your options are kind of limited with a gravel substrate. Corys would be great if you had sand, but for gravel I would look into shrimp, maybe red cherry shrimp to add some color.

hampalong
Corys are fine on gravel as long as it isn't sharp. Some species do actually live on it in the wild.

Most species prefer sand, but that's true of most catfish.

Jupiter Jack
Corys can live on gravel like people can live in a closet. Its not ideal but they will live. And in the wild, most corys live with mud as a substrate, which is why they sift thru dirt for worms and insect like in the amazon. Sand is the next best thing tho.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Ckline
Replies
Views
shusband
Replies
Views
sassymomma
Replies
Views