Pictus catfish issues

JayDehoyos
i have a 10 gallon Portrait tank and inside my tank i have a few fish including a betta fish .. i went to the petsmart where i live and was looking for cory catfish well the person that was handling the fish gave me 2 pictus catfish and when i put them in the take they did fine until a week later i was noticeing they were going crazy in the tank bulling the betta fish it only happenes when the lights are off in the tank soo not sure what to do ...

JettsPapa
They need a much larger tank. That might be the issue. I'd suggest taking them back to the pet store and explain what happened.

Lakefish
JettsPapa is right. They need a four foot tank. They are nocturnal predators and will eat the Betta and that other little fish in the tank as soon as they are big enough to get those in their mouths. Which won’t be far in the future. They need to go back ASAP.
And remember not to catch them in a net, use a container, so their fin spines don’t get tangled in the mesh (someone had a thread about their pictus stuck in a net just recently).

JayDehoyos
Lakefish said:
JettsPapa is right. They need a four foot tank. They are nocturnal predators and will eat the Betta and that other little fish in the tank as soon as they are big enough to get those in their mouths. Which won’t be far in the future. They need to go back ASAP.
And remember not to catch them in a net, use a container, so their fin spines don’t get tangled in the mesh (someone had a thread about their pictus stuck in a net just recently).
when i change the water mines do get cought in the net so i found a way i used 2 nets it was a bit rought but they lived

JettsPapa
JayDehoyos said:
when i change the water mines do get cought in the net so i found a way i used 2 nets it was a bit rought but they lived
Why do you remove the fish for water changes? That causes a considerable amount of stress on them.

JayDehoyos
JettsPapa said:
Why do you remove the fish for water changes? That causes a considerable amount of stress on them.
it was bad alge going on in the tank i had to do sum Research to get a cleanup crew for my tank and a few chemicals so before then I was in emptying out the tank every other week

LotusWhispers
Oh geeeeez, that’s really sad for the pictus and they are veeeery different than cories.

pictus are incredibly energetic and also incredibly fast and echoing the above,need a huge tank.

it is recommended to keep them at MINIMUM in a 55, some say 150 if more than one. They are a shoaling fish and can fare well on their own compared to other catfish, but I’d say if up to 4, minimum 55, if 6 - 75 and if >6 - 150+

another stressor could be still water, they are river native, a good current is advised.

Generally for most catfish, the area of the floor is most important! Long tanks suit them much better than high ones!

I also echo the above on nocturnal predation. It is advised that if one keeps pictus, that they be the smallest fish in the tank, and they get to 5 inches!

not yelling at yeh whatsoever, the pet shop should have been Informed about their own fish.

Wanted to back up and praise your betta paradise. It is a beautiful tank! Great spots for the betta to tuck into and rest.

Your harlequin raspora is a good choice for a betta tank mate. I seeeee one in the pick, are there others?

Thought I’d throw a couple ideas at yeh instead of just moaning about pictus lol, and offer what could be done instead. -after you find a new home for the pictus, pick up a couple more harlequins! They are schooling fish, could aim for 4 (6-8 if no cories) and they’ll back each other up!

if you are also looking for cories, most corporate pet shops only seem to carry the 3inch cories (emerald, albino, julii (tho the latter here is a 2.5)) which would be mighty cramped in a 10 portrait (recalling floor plan area is important for catfish). Perhaps seek some salt n pepper or Pygmy cories (4-6 fish), as they are less bottom oriented, and will use more of the height of the tank than the other mainstream cories.

that’d be yur betta, 4 rasporas, n 4 of a smaller Cory. Is my thoughts : ). Largely debatable, some would prefer to tickle that magic 6 number, but 4 is better than either solo or overstocking as either of these may lead to stress death.

some Users are reeeeally hard on stocking and would say that even my idea here would be pushing it towards overstocked. I’d agree as a rule of thumb as it sits at the limit, but you’d just need to be more on top of maintenance and checking parameters . Might just mean weekly water changes instead of monthly. Or something along those lines.

LotusWhispers
But honestly, if it’s an ALGAE cleaner you are looking for... cories won’t satisfy you as much as you think. They are bottom feeders, not algae eaters. They may eat some, but you’ll still have to clean by hand and feed them supplemental food.

There are no pure algae eaters that’d be happy in a 10 portrait. You must become adjusted to manually cleaning your tank. This is the dirty gritty of the keeping fish : ). Learn to love the maintenance! It is rewarding to care for your habitat to improve their well being!

perhaps remove the decor one at a time instead of removing the water.

removing The fish every week and doing 100% water flips may shrink their life span to a few weeks... this indeed, is incredibly stressful for them.

just stick your hand in, scrape away and let the filter do its thing. let the scraped chunks settle. Then vacuum it out with a siphon vac gently and clean off yur filter and voila! A simple procedure!

kk I’ll be done now lol, just Decided to be thorough and cover all the things. Anyone else feel free to build or challenge it!

Best of luck! May all be well : ).

As a frame of reference, I’ve got 12 pure algae eaters in my 20gallon, and I STILL have to manually clean some portions of my tank lol.

Latest threads

Top Bottom