Pictus Catfish has white flesh on fins!??

1. blondiebomshell Initiate Member

Hey everyone

So when transferring my fish over my pictus catfish accidentally got caught in the net ! After a stressful 10mins I finally got him free by cutting the net. A bit was left on both his fins but they soon fell off as he swam around. 2 days later and ive noticed all i can describe as a white fleshy ball on each of his front fins!?? does anyone know what this is, and if its good ie healing or hes hurt ??

many thanks!!

IMG_1976.JPG IMG_1977 - Copy.JPG

2. blusshed Well Known Member Member

Does it look cottony? It might be a fungus?

3. blondiebomshell Initiate Member

YES! That's a perfect way to describe it! What do I do!???

4. blusshed Well Known Member Member

If you don't have any labyrinth fish I would start with a 50% water change, and start dosing with Melafix or Pimafix.

It should probably do the trick as long as your parameters are good :)

5. blondiebomshell Initiate Member

The water has just been changed. It looks like he has an infection from being tugged when the net was being removed? Will Melafix treat him?

6. blusshed Well Known Member Member

It should :) Melafix has always been my go to.

7. blondiebomshell Initiate Member

Thank you will go grab some now!

8. blondiebomshell Initiate Member

The bottle said to give the treatment out for 7 days so I did and his fins almost cleared up completely, so I stopped the treatment like it said after the 7 days. But in the past couple days his right fin has developed another huge 'cotton' like ball on it. I've started the treatment again but not sure whether it's safe to or not? Any ideas??