Pictus Catfish and shrimp?

Status
Not open for further replies.

blaen99

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I saw some of these at the LFS, and am 90% of the way to convincing myself that I should purchase one.

However, if I keep Crystal Red Shrimp in a tank, will they eat the CRS? I have a sinking feeling the answer is yes, but am hoping that the crystal shrimp are too big for them to try to eat (1.5").

Kunsthure

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I'm gonna say yes, a pictus will eat the shrimp. All shrimp are vulnerable right after a molt but anything as big as a pictus would surely be able to eat one with a hard shell. If you still want to try, provide tons of hiding places only the shrimp can get into and lots of moss. And I'd try a few red cherries instead of the crystal reds to see how they fare simply because of the cost. The red cherries can live with crystal reds without fear of interbreeding so if the red cherries make it you can still add the crystals later.

-Lisa

jab91864

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I asked a question very similar just the other day. Trying to make that list of what we want for the tank and the shrimp and crayfish keep coming back up on the list. I found a dwarf crayfish I am going to read more on. Might still try the shrimp with LOTS of cover....

OP
blaen99

blaen99

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I may end up with MTS within weeks of having my first tank ><

I really like the Pictus. I assume the Pictus would also gobble up Celestial Pearl Danio's or Harlequin Rasbora's?

Last edited by a moderator:

Nitro Junkie

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I would not risk it with danios or rasbora. Pictus are insanely active,although they are supposed to be nocturnal. I am sure when the lights are out and the danios and rasbora are snoozing,the pictus will pick them off. If you want some pictus,a 55,or even better,a 75 or bigger, with large cichlids or other cats would be your best bet.

I can gurantee even if you give them lots of cover,they will eat your RCS too. Too nice of shrimp to feed to cats,IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Toggle Sidebar

Water Change Frequency?

• Daily

Votes: 1 1.0%
  • Weekly

Votes: 63 65.6%
  • Every Two Weeks

Votes: 13 13.5%
  • Monthly

Votes: 1 1.0%
  • As Needed (from test kit results or based on knowing your tank)

Votes: 18 18.8%

Top Bottom