Pictus Cat Tank Mates

SeanyBaggs123
Good Morning All,

To preface, I have already read the stickies and done some research, so I am mostly looking for personal experience/opinions.

I have put my reef tank dreams on hold, but I still have this big 135 gallon tank.

So.... I have decided to consolidate my current tanks into one and have my other dream... A giant planted, high tech, rainbow tank.

I would like to put a school of pictus cats in this tank, but I'm wondering if they will get along with the blue eyed rainbows I want to get, or the albino BN pleco I currently have.

Thanks!

86 ssinit
I never had a problem with Pictus cats with anything. The biggest problem with them is they never stop moving!! . It’s like theyre on speed!. Great fish that go every where in the tank and should be fine with most rainbow fish. Are the blue eyed rainbows forktail rainbows? They might be a problem because there small and the Pictus May eat them. But ant of the bigger rainbows will be fine.

SeanyBaggs123
86 ssinit said:
I never had a problem with Pictus cats with anything. The biggest problem with them is they never stop moving!! . It’s like theyre on speed!. Great fish that go every where in the tank and should be fine with most rainbow fish. Are the blue eyed rainbows forktail rainbows? They might be a problem because there small and the Pictus May eat them. But ant of the bigger rainbows will be fine.
I was thinking Gertrudae instead since they have bigger fins than forktails...

86 ssinit
Had to look them up. Very nice looking!! I don’t get anything like them here . Again either I think would be fine. I never seen my Pictus eat other fish and I’m just going on the if it fits in it mouth it may. I did have them with neons years ago with no problems.
You know with a 135 you could put about 50 of those rainbows in it. Get some wisteria to float on top and they will be swimming in and out of it all day. I have the forktail now and like the Pictus they are very energetic fish . You will have lots of movement in that tank. Maybe some Bolivian rams to add some color.

chromedome52
Pseudomugil gertrudae only gets about half the size of P. furcatus. (3cm vs. 6cm) Both species are going to end up as food if the Pictus cats get hungry. Pictus are nocturnal hunters; that's why they have those long whiskers, to detect food in the dark. And that's why you don't "see" them pursuing smaller fish during the day. I would not keep any fish under 3-3.5 inches with Pictus.

I wouldn't keep any Blue Eyes with any of the larger Rainbows, or with Tiger Barbs, either.

Latest threads

Top Bottom