Pictus Cat compatibility

Discussion in 'Pictus Catfish' started by Elsi Ouzts, Aug 8, 2015.

1. Elsi OuztsNew MemberMember

Well I have a heavily planted tank with a betta, some guppies and a Pictus Cat. I'm having a snail infestation problem and picked up a couple Yoyo Loaches to eat them...

One of my loaches is missing. I have some rotted driftwood so he could be hidden in there I guess but I'm worried that my pictus has eaten him. I think they're too big but I wanted to get your opinion on it.

TY

2. Dom90

Dom90Fishlore VIPMember

What tank size are these fish in? Bettas don't go well with guppies. They are aggressive for any community tanks. It also might mistaken the guppies as a betta. Pictus catfish also need at bare minimum 55 gallons and are schooling fish and need a group of 6 or more.

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

3. Anders247

Anders247Fishlore LegendMember

Welcome to fishlore!
    Agreed with the above, except, pictus need 75 gallon minimum, because they get 6 inches and are very active fish. And a schooling fish, so a group of 6+.....
    And yeah, bettas aren't compatible with other fish, imo.

4. OP
    OP
    E

Elsi OuztsNew MemberMember

My tank is 35 gallons atm but I will be upgrading to a bigger set up soon. My Betta has been fine with my guppies. He's only flared his gills a couple times when they were harassing him a bit in the first couple days but now everyone gets along fine.

I'm just worried about my loaches with the pictus cat.

5. Anders247

Anders247Fishlore LegendMember

Well, people on here have had problems because the betta will be fine for a long time then one day kill all his tankmates. So it may not be a problem now but it will be in the future.
    The loaches will be fine with the pictus in a properly sized tank, they both get fairly big.

6. chromedome52

chromedome52Fishlore VIPMember

I would be much more concerned about the pictus and the guppies, or as he probably thinks of them, feeders. This is guaranteed to go badly for anything that the pictus can catch - and he will catch both the guppies and the betta eventually.

Like other loaches, the Yoyo has spines under their eyes, and they can use them to inflict great damage on any fish that messes with them. If the catfish tried to eat him, it would be seriously injured. More likely that he's hiding at this point.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice