Pictus Breeding

1. W

Will170 Valued Member Member

This is a tough one. Can't find any knowledge out there or even how to tell the sexes apart. Any advice on breeding them or determining gender?

2. KinsKicks

KinsKicks Fishlore VIP Member

Hello!

Ya, it hasn't been bred in aquaria (at least to my knowledge) so there isn't a record on how to. I do believe they are considered migratory spawners, which would mean you would need a very large group of them, and they spawn+fertilize as they swim (aka big tank), and they're nearly impossible to sex for various reasons on top of that. Plus, since they come from Amazon and Orinoco river basins, you'd have to mimic the rainy season/breeding season in order to have a chance

They would have to be a fish that you most likely would have to inject hormones into in order to get them to breed

3. OP
    OP
    W

Thanks. It's kinda sad that it hasn't been successfully bred.
    I'm asking Bc I have a group of three and they all "socialize" but two of them seem to be closer to each other. Basically the two follow each other around and are always "playing" with each other. Not aggressively
    Guess they are just best buds and not mates

4. KinsKicks

KinsKicks Fishlore VIP Member

A lot of people with pictus often report this, and it's always exciting to see IF something happens; but unfortunately, nothing ever really does.

And I like the BFF idea lol.

5. OP
    OP
    W

Yeah me too. A lot of joy comes out of watching all the fish interact with each other and interact with us.
    Although they are just wanting food it's nice to watch them all come to the glass when they see me